Old 01-12-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soil PH?

In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
Recently built a wall, on the shady side of which I intend growing plants
that like acid soil conditions, my intention is to remove some soil (and
therefore the worst of my cement droppings) replace with an ericaceous
mix, my natural soil here is slightly acid, my question is how much lime
will the new wall leach into the soil? is there anything that can be used
perhaps to neutralize this? (seem to remember some stuff they used to use
to preserve eggs, changes the chemical composition of concrete, I think
that was called ising glass or water glass) Or will I be ok to leave well
alone?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

If you have a naturally acidic environment over time it will overwhelm any
alkalinity leaching off the wall. If you wanted to hedge your bets (no pun
intended) you could wash the wall with the contents of your tea pot at a PH
of less than 6.5 ( can be as low as 4 if you like proper navvies tea) it
should neutralise any lime leaching or garden pond suppliers sell a PH
reducer . I'd go with the tea plus point is it will 'age' the appearance of
the wall.
Derek

Tea sounds a very good idea (on both counts!)