Old 01-12-2007, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soil PH?

Recently built a wall, on the shady side of which I intend growing plants
that like acid soil conditions, my intention is to remove some soil (and
therefore the worst of my cement droppings) replace with an ericaceous
mix, my natural soil here is slightly acid, my question is how much lime
will the new wall leach into the soil? is there anything that can be used
perhaps to neutralize this? (seem to remember some stuff they used to use
to preserve eggs, changes the chemical composition of concrete, I think
that was called ising glass or water glass) Or will I be ok to leave well
alone?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 01-12-2007, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
Recently built a wall, on the shady side of which I intend growing plants
that like acid soil conditions, my intention is to remove some soil (and
therefore the worst of my cement droppings) replace with an ericaceous
mix, my natural soil here is slightly acid, my question is how much lime
will the new wall leach into the soil? is there anything that can be used
perhaps to neutralize this? (seem to remember some stuff they used to use
to preserve eggs, changes the chemical composition of concrete, I think
that was called ising glass or water glass) Or will I be ok to leave well
alone?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

If you have a naturally acidic environment over time it will overwhelm any
alkalinity leaching off the wall. If you wanted to hedge your bets (no pun
intended) you could wash the wall with the contents of your tea pot at a PH
of less than 6.5 ( can be as low as 4 if you like proper navvies tea) it
should neutralise any lime leaching or garden pond suppliers sell a PH
reducer . I'd go with the tea plus point is it will 'age' the appearance of
the wall.
Derek

Old 01-12-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

Tea sounds a very good idea (on both counts!)
Old 01-12-2007, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
On 1/12/07 08:42, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Recently built a wall, on the shady side of which I intend growing plants
that like acid soil conditions, my intention is to remove some soil (and
therefore the worst of my cement droppings) replace with an ericaceous
mix, my natural soil here is slightly acid, my question is how much lime
will the new wall leach into the soil? is there anything that can be used
perhaps to neutralize this? (seem to remember some stuff they used to use
to preserve eggs, changes the chemical composition of concrete, I think
that was called ising glass or water glass) Or will I be ok to leave well
alone?
Isinglass but that's my only available contribution, I'm afraid!

Thats the stuff I was thinking of, does anyone know what it is? (chemicle
wise) I remember using it as a child to grow crystles and later to water
proof a concrete pond and make it safe to introduce fish.
I have to say Dereks Tea suggestion is in the lead at present!

A bit of chemistry re acid soil here

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...032030051.html

Made interesting reading, I don't actually need/want to change the soil
ph as its already acid, what I am concerned about is the leaching of lime
from the new wall, I know that over time it will be fine (I see plenty of
ericaceous plants growing on old walls) but was wondering whether there
is a short term effect.
I was always a bit shaky on the various limes, quick slaked etc I now can
not remember what the chemicle reaction is that sets cement and whether
there should be anything left at the end.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
On 1/12/07 08:42, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

I can't see anything leaching from cement mortar once it has set. Lime
mortar may well be different because it never really sets fully
Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

is there
anything that can be used perhaps to neutralize this? (seem to
remember some stuff they used to use to preserve eggs, changes the
chemical composition of concrete, I think that was called ising glass
or water glass) Or will I be ok to leave well alone?

Isinglass comes from the sturgeon and was used (amongst other things) to
clarify beer.

What you are thinking of, to preserve eggs, is water glass. This is a
solution of sodium silicate. Unfortunately, sodium silicate is very
alkaline, so you'd be adding fuel to the fire!

If you needed to do anything, which I doubt, then you'd have to add sulphur
or alum to the soil. But the best thing would be well-rotted pine needles
or soil from a conifer plantation. These are very acid by nature.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 01-12-2007, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| I was always a bit shaky on the various limes, quick slaked etc I now can
| not remember what the chemicle reaction is that sets cement and whether
| there should be anything left at the end.

Builder's lime is slaked lime, calcium hydroxide. Modern cement
mortars don't use much of it, and the setting process is half
chemical reaction and half crystal growth.

There shouldn't be much leaching.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.