Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Soil PH?

Charlie Pridham wrote:

is there
anything that can be used perhaps to neutralize this? (seem to
remember some stuff they used to use to preserve eggs, changes the
chemical composition of concrete, I think that was called ising glass
or water glass) Or will I be ok to leave well alone?

Isinglass comes from the sturgeon and was used (amongst other things) to
clarify beer.

What you are thinking of, to preserve eggs, is water glass. This is a
solution of sodium silicate. Unfortunately, sodium silicate is very
alkaline, so you'd be adding fuel to the fire!

If you needed to do anything, which I doubt, then you'd have to add sulphur
or alum to the soil. But the best thing would be well-rotted pine needles
or soil from a conifer plantation. These are very acid by nature.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)