Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Darren Wilson

Default Repairing a young eucalyptus

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:29:23 +1100, "Wingnut" wrote:

Can anyone help ?

Is it possible to "re-join" a branch accidentally torn partially off a relatively immature Eucalyptus tree (Flowering Gum) ?

The tree is only about a metre and a half tall, has been in the ground for about 12 months and was (and hopefully still is) quite healthy and happy.

As well as hoping to restore the tree's appearance, I also want to reduce the possibility of infection entering the plant. Is it possibility to adopt the same approach as for grafting of young trees and if so, how can I do it ?

All responses welcomed, Ta.

Such a repair should be done as quickly as possible after the damage occurs
(within an hour is best). However, it may well become a weak spot if it is
successful. You are probably better off neatly cutting the branch off and
letting nature take her course.