Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Decking Maintenance

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
| ssheilas wrote:
| We have recently put down a large area of hardwood decking, what is the
| best way to maintain this and keep it in good condition?
|
| As long as none of it is left sitting in water after the rain, I
| wouldn't do anything to it. Take a look at any fence. The top 95% lasts
| forever while the bit at the bottom rots, and there's no magic potion to
| stop that happening

Well, yes and no. Treated with sufficiently toxic chemicals, there
is, but you can't apply them as surface treatments. Most decking
will be treated; most fencing is not.

Also, decking is flat, and so water runs off less slowly, and that
encourages algae. If the decking is well exposed to the sun (i.e.
south facing, with at least 12 hours a day in summer), it's not too
bad. North facing or obscured decking is Bad News.

Indeed. A grey, slippery surface wouldn't be my choice in winter