Old 02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Registered User

Default Decking Maintenance

We have recently put down a large area of hardwood decking, what is the best way to maintain this and keep it in good condition?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ssheilas wrote:
We have recently put down a large area of hardwood decking, what is the
best way to maintain this and keep it in good condition?

As long as none of it is left sitting in water after the rain, I
wouldn't do anything to it. Take a look at any fence. The top 95% lasts
forever while the bit at the bottom rots, and there's no magic potion to
stop that happening
Old 02-12-2007, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
| ssheilas wrote:
| We have recently put down a large area of hardwood decking, what is the
| best way to maintain this and keep it in good condition?
|
| As long as none of it is left sitting in water after the rain, I
| wouldn't do anything to it. Take a look at any fence. The top 95% lasts
| forever while the bit at the bottom rots, and there's no magic potion to
| stop that happening

Well, yes and no. Treated with sufficiently toxic chemicals, there
is, but you can't apply them as surface treatments. Most decking
will be treated; most fencing is not.

Also, decking is flat, and so water runs off less slowly, and that
encourages algae. If the decking is well exposed to the sun (i.e.
south facing, with at least 12 hours a day in summer), it's not too
bad. North facing or obscured decking is Bad News.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
| ssheilas wrote:
| We have recently put down a large area of hardwood decking, what is the
| best way to maintain this and keep it in good condition?
|
| As long as none of it is left sitting in water after the rain, I
| wouldn't do anything to it. Take a look at any fence. The top 95% lasts
| forever while the bit at the bottom rots, and there's no magic potion to
| stop that happening

Well, yes and no. Treated with sufficiently toxic chemicals, there
is, but you can't apply them as surface treatments. Most decking
will be treated; most fencing is not.

Also, decking is flat, and so water runs off less slowly, and that
encourages algae. If the decking is well exposed to the sun (i.e.
south facing, with at least 12 hours a day in summer), it's not too
bad. North facing or obscured decking is Bad News.

Indeed. A grey, slippery surface wouldn't be my choice in winter
Old 02-12-2007, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
| ssheilas wrote:
| We have recently put down a large area of hardwood decking, what is
the
| best way to maintain this and keep it in good condition?
| | As long as none of it is left sitting in water after the rain, I
| wouldn't do anything to it. Take a look at any fence. The top 95%
lasts | forever while the bit at the bottom rots, and there's no magic
potion to | stop that happening

Well, yes and no. Treated with sufficiently toxic chemicals, there
is, but you can't apply them as surface treatments. Most decking
will be treated; most fencing is not.

Also, decking is flat, and so water runs off less slowly, and that
encourages algae. If the decking is well exposed to the sun (i.e.
south facing, with at least 12 hours a day in summer), it's not too
bad. North facing or obscured decking is Bad News.

Indeed. A grey, slippery surface wouldn't be my choice in winter

but some just 'have' to have the latest fad dharling :-((

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ssheilas" wrote in message

We have recently put down a large area of hardwood decking, what is the
best way to maintain this and keep it in good condition?

--
ssheilas

We give ours a coat of decking treatment once a year, part of ours is shaded
so does get the algae problem, diluted pine disinfectant applied every
couple of months with a watering can and rose soon gets rid of it.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Dec, 14:37, ssheilas wrote:
We have recently put down a large area of hardwood decking, what is the
best way to maintain this and keep it in good condition?

I broom ours with a very hard brush after the rain, to get rid of
excess water in the grooves and get rid of the leaves too. Just keep
it clear. If moss/algae settle, just brush off!
Old 28-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On 2 Dec, 14:37, ssheilas wrote:
We have recently put down a large area of hardwood decking, what is the
best way to maintain this and keep it in good condition?

I broom ours with a very hard brush after the rain, to get rid of
excess water in the grooves and get rid of the leaves too. Just keep
it clear. If moss/algae settle, just brush off!
Instead of using wood as your decking material use composite wood or also known as WPC timber. It is totally maintenance free and is treated with chemicals so moss and algae won't grown on it. It will also last a lot longer than wood, in fact it can have a 50 year plus life span.

Re DECKING Advice Len United Kingdom 0 22-02-2004 09:02 PM
Decking RD United Kingdom 4 20-09-2003 03:32 PM
Decking and turfing - help! have they done it right? xtinexoop United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 10:44 AM
Membrane, decking timber etc Dave United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 01:44 PM
FA: Decking A Practical Step by Step Guide ripper United Kingdom 0 28-01-2003 08:31 PM