Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Heated planters?

On Dec 2, 8:35 pm, "
wrote:
01 Dec 2007,Father Haskell in news:8238b2c6-6172-
:

Most plants grow a LOT better when soil temperature
is above 60 F.

though i suspect most plants won't like root temperatures ridiculously higher than air
temps.

74 - 78 F promotes the fastest root growth, which promotes the
strongest everything else. The 10 x 20 Hyrdofarm mats have
internal thermostats, will cut off at 85 F.

2 gallon heated planters -- does anyone
make them? I'm tempted to roll up a seedling mat and
place it into the pot before pouring in soil, but I'm not sure
that wouldn't be a fire hazard -- maker Hydrofarm says
not to place insulating materials on top of the mat.

i wound't expect that insulation value to be much higher (if not lower) than a flat of
perlite of on top of the mat on a wood 2x bench in a greenhouse.

Needs to be kept moist to keep insulation value low, not really a
problem for me. Dry perlite looks like a near-perfect insulator.

i think having a part of the mat overlap another part would be a worse spot-overheat
pitfall.

Be sure to pack soil in between the ends.