Old 02-12-2007, 07:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Heated planters?

Most plants grow a LOT better when soil temperature
is above 60 F. 2 gallon heated planters -- does anyone
make them? I'm tempted to roll up a seedling mat and
place it into the pot before pouring in soil, but I'm not sure
that wouldn't be a fire hazard -- maker Hydrofarm says
not to place insulating materials on top of the mat.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 2, 8:35 pm, "
wrote:
01 Dec 2007,Father Haskell in news:8238b2c6-6172-
:

Most plants grow a LOT better when soil temperature
is above 60 F.

though i suspect most plants won't like root temperatures ridiculously higher than air
temps.

74 - 78 F promotes the fastest root growth, which promotes the
strongest everything else. The 10 x 20 Hyrdofarm mats have
internal thermostats, will cut off at 85 F.

2 gallon heated planters -- does anyone
make them? I'm tempted to roll up a seedling mat and
place it into the pot before pouring in soil, but I'm not sure
that wouldn't be a fire hazard -- maker Hydrofarm says
not to place insulating materials on top of the mat.

i wound't expect that insulation value to be much higher (if not lower) than a flat of
perlite of on top of the mat on a wood 2x bench in a greenhouse.

Needs to be kept moist to keep insulation value low, not really a
problem for me. Dry perlite looks like a near-perfect insulator.

i think having a part of the mat overlap another part would be a worse spot-overheat
pitfall.

Be sure to pack soil in between the ends.

[IMG] code is On

Heated pond FrankS Ponds 32 07-02-2004 11:10 PM
Was: Heated substrate? Kevsmom2000 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 04-07-2003 04:32 PM
Heating Pads, etc. Was: Help please with this heated seedling mat Nell Orchids 1 09-04-2003 03:56 PM
Help please with this heated seedling mat Elpaninaro Orchids 4 27-03-2003 01:44 AM
Heated bench david United Kingdom 0 23-02-2003 09:41 PM