Old 03-12-2007, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Dave Dave is offline

Default Blue tit questions

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Quite a few I am afraid.

Just outside the Patio doors, under the veranda and about 8 - 10 ft from

Snip

Looking forward to some advice.

Many thanks

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters

If you had a camera inside your box, it would be easier to tell the sex of
your rooster ;-) My experience is that it has been a male bird that has
taken over the box and then uses it to try to attract a mate next spring.
Generally, they are messy little devils and crap in the box. If they do get
a mate, and they always have, she will then take over and roost inside but
not before she has religiously removed every dropping, one by one!

If it is more ornamental than practical, she will not accept this as a
'des-res' and find another mate/box. I shouldn't touch anything. Since BTs
are very territorial, I can't see the reason for a row of boxes for them.
I'd be more likely to suspect that the boxes at the garage have larger holes
and are designed to attract a community of sparrows who do nest close
together.

Good luck. I am still waiting for a rooster to occupy my new box which now
has a colour camera inside. I bought one of these and would thoroughly
recommend it.

http://www.handykam.com/shop-buy-pro...era-system.htm

You can read an excellent review of the box and camera he-

http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/ht...bluetitcam.htm

Cheers,

Dave.

--