Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Wally

Default Tree Selection

I still haven't decided what to plant, but I've found some trees that
I'd like to find some more information on. Can anybody identify either
of these two trees for me?

http://c17488.rivrw3.nsw.optusnet.com.au:443/treeident/

If these aren't appropriate, I think I might go for a wattle. Any
suggestions on what wattle to plant? I'd prefer a tree to a bush, but
I'm limited by the space I have.

Thanks,
Wally

Chookie wrote in message news:ehrebeniuk-7A59A6.20171407112002@news...
In article ,
"Wally" wrote:

the spot mostly gets sun in the afternoon. The garden area is
about 1.8m deep, 3.5m wide (I guess two trees would be an option), and
ideally the tree will grow to around 3.5m. I'd like an Australian native,
and preferably deciduous. It will hopefully give some privacy with it's
foliage.

Firstly, if privacy is more important, I would go for an evergreen -- a
deciduous tree will leave you without privacy in winter. Secondly, if the
site mainly gets sun in the afternoons, it's probably more west than north,
which is another reason to prefer an evergreen, as it will shade your house.
Thirdly, the deciduous natives (as far as I am aware) tend to be rainforest
species, which may not cope with the westerly sun in this position.

If you have your heart set on a deciduous tree in that spot, I suggest
planting some small wattles as "nursemaids" -- they grow fast and will shade
it while it is young and vulnerable. When your chosen tree is sturdier, you
can remove the wattles.

I can't think of a deciduous native that meets your requirements,
unfortunately. For that height requirement, I would be looking at Banksia or
Acacia species, or possibly some of the smaller bottle-brushes and tea-trees.

Have fun -- tell us what you decide on!