Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching, uk.rec.gardening
John M. John M. is offline

Default Blue tit questions

On Dec 2, 10:11 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
Quite a few I am afraid.

Just outside the Patio doors, under the veranda and about 8 - 10 ft from
where I sit at the computer, we have an 'ornamental' tit box. I say
'ornamental' because it is a fancy thing looking like a house with fancy
pictures on it and 'Love Nest' just over the hole!!

We put this up for 'decoration' in the Spring and low and behold a Tit
showed interest, went inside and moved on.

We now have a Blue tit which investigated, tapped the hole from outside and
inside and now, every night just as it gets dusk, it pops in for the night.

snip
Questions. Would this be male or female? Is it likely to nest in the Spring?

If the hole is too large, you may find that nesting Blue Tits will be
ejected by House Sparrows, should this site appeal to the latter.

Got to be good news, given the comparable states of the population of
these two species, so perhaps enlarge the hole to make sure the
Sparrows don't have a problem ;-))) Just kidding.