Old 03-12-2007, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Blue tit questions

Many thanks Wally , Dave, Jim and John M.

All your points are noted and I am now wondering if I should get some nest
boxes with bigger holes and put them elsewhere in the garden for the
Sparrows and one more technical question. If the Blue tit is male and makes
a mess in the box over the Winter, should I when it's back is turned, clear
it out in the early Spring or 'let nature' take it's course? Gut feeling is
let nature do it, it certainly seems to be doing well at the moment ;-))

Thanks folks

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Quite a few I am afraid.

Just outside the Patio doors, under the veranda and about 8 - 10 ft from
where I sit at the computer, we have an 'ornamental' tit box. I say
'ornamental' because it is a fancy thing looking like a house with fancy
pictures on it and 'Love Nest' just over the hole!!

We put this up for 'decoration' in the Spring and low and behold a Tit
showed interest, went inside and moved on.

We now have a Blue tit which investigated, tapped the hole from outside
and inside and now, every night just as it gets dusk, it pops in for the
night. Been doing this for over a week to our knowledge.

Doesn't bother about us, sitting here waiting for it, just inside, glass
in hand ;-) (Birdwatching with ALL the comforts)

Questions. Would this be male or female? Is it likely to nest in the
Spring? Is there anything I should do different to what I am doing now?
(My instinct is NO). I have a conventional RSPB nestbox in the hedges out
of view. Can I bring that out nearer or should I leave it where it is? I
do pass a garage near a main road with about 5 or 6 Tit boxes side by
side. Is this correct?

Looking forward to some advice.

Many thanks

Mike