Old 03-12-2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Disaster report?

On 3/12/07 18:29, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

On 2 Dec, 22:49, Sacha wrote:
On 2/12/07 21:34, in article , "Kate

Morgan" wrote:

snip
Just heard daughter isn't driving back from Bristol tonight as she doesn't
fancy the motorway drive too much. ;-(

--
Sacha

Probably a wise move it is still very windy here in Glos. I can see a small
amount of traffic moving on the Severn Bridge but I think it will be closed
to high sided vehicles.

kate

I'm glad she's stayed put then. It's abated quite a lot here but there's
still the odd rumble in the chimney to remind us how powerless we really
are. And speaking of which, we had two power cuts today. One lasted all of
ten seconds and the other for about 30 minutes.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

We have had 3 days with heavy rain, Hail and winds gusting to gale
force,
Had just finished lifting the dahlia tubers, quite literally with
minutes to spare before the first of the rain hit us.
Today I went out the field to lift some of the tree dahlias, and to my
surprise some still have green stems, and leaf stems also green.
Also one or two have flower buds partially open with no sign of damage
to their petals.
Lifted one of the young "Stella" and it came up with a section of root
that was 2 ft long to the point where it broke off, where it was still
pencil thick.
2 of the plants, un-stoped had branched to 10 and 12 shoots and all
had carried flower with a plant height of around 5ft in their first
year, Dahlia shrubs?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

And why not? That sounds lovely, David.
Our D. excelsa from you has finally admitted that winter has arrived and has
gone black and sad looking. We'll probably mulch it for the winter and see
how it copes, just as we did last year.