Old 02-12-2007, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Disaster report?

Anyone suffering? So far - and I'm touching wood as I say that - we have
had one Ali Baba style pot blown over and broken. It contains a huge
Euryops and if ever there was a mistaken bit of planting.........! Ah well,
it's a lesson not to do anything like that again. But otherwise, we appear
to have escaped so far. It's blowing up again and hurling the rain down
right now and is the epitome of 'a dirty night' - in weather terms, of
course. ;-) The birds took to walking around looking for food and none
came to the feeder higher up outside my study window. Usually I find coal
tits love that one and seem to prefer it to others lower down at first
storey level but I haven't seen anything on that feeder when I've been in
here today.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-12-2007, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Anyone suffering? So far - and I'm touching wood as I say that - we
have had one Ali Baba style pot blown over and broken. It contains a
huge Euryops and if ever there was a mistaken bit of
planting.........! Ah well, it's a lesson not to do anything like
that again. But otherwise, we appear to have escaped so far. It's
blowing up again and hurling the rain down right now and is the
epitome of 'a dirty night' - in weather terms, of course. ;-) The
birds took to walking around looking for food and none came to the
feeder higher up outside my study window. Usually I find coal tits
love that one and seem to prefer it to others lower down at first
storey level but I haven't seen anything on that feeder when I've
been in here today.

Apart from chunks of trees in the road to watch out for, all seems ok around
here. Stopped raining now, but still blowing wild.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 02-12-2007, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Anyone suffering?

Not at all. In fact it has worked out rather well :-))

We have had a flooding problem in the road at the back and at LONG LAST, I
have stirred up enough s**t to get something done about it :-))

:-))

So no, no disaster report, just a great progress report :-))

Thank you for asking Sacha :-))

Kindest regards

Mike
ps
Why didn't you post under my 'weather' posting? Shy?

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
Just heard daughter isn't driving back from Bristol tonight as she doesn't
fancy the motorway drive too much. ;-(

--
Sacha

Probably a wise move it is still very windy here in Glos. I can see a small
amount of traffic moving on the Severn Bridge but I think it will be closed
to high sided vehicles.

kate

Old 02-12-2007, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 21:34:03 -0000, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

snip
Just heard daughter isn't driving back from Bristol tonight as she doesn't
fancy the motorway drive too much. ;-(

--
Sacha

Probably a wise move it is still very windy here in Glos. I can see a small
amount of traffic moving on the Severn Bridge but I think it will be closed
to high sided vehicles.

kate

It's been rough here in Surrey but I think not as bad as further
south. Fortunately the Met Office have given us plenty of warning this
time, so we've had everything securely tied down.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2 Dec, 22:49, Sacha wrote:
On 2/12/07 21:34, in article , "Kate

Morgan" wrote:

snip
Just heard daughter isn't driving back from Bristol tonight as she doesn't
fancy the motorway drive too much. ;-(

--
Sacha

Probably a wise move it is still very windy here in Glos. I can see a small
amount of traffic moving on the Severn Bridge but I think it will be closed
to high sided vehicles.

kate

I'm glad she's stayed put then. It's abated quite a lot here but there's
still the odd rumble in the chimney to remind us how powerless we really
are. And speaking of which, we had two power cuts today. One lasted all of
ten seconds and the other for about 30 minutes.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

We have had 3 days with heavy rain, Hail and winds gusting to gale
force,
Had just finished lifting the dahlia tubers, quite literally with
minutes to spare before the first of the rain hit us.
Today I went out the field to lift some of the tree dahlias, and to my
surprise some still have green stems, and leaf stems also green.
Also one or two have flower buds partially open with no sign of damage
to their petals.
Lifted one of the young "Stella" and it came up with a section of root
that was 2 ft long to the point where it broke off, where it was still
pencil thick.
2 of the plants, un-stoped had branched to 10 and 12 shoots and all
had carried flower with a plant height of around 5ft in their first
year, Dahlia shrubs?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 03-12-2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/12/07 18:29, in article
, "Dave

Morgan" wrote:

[...]

And why not? That sounds lovely, David.
Our D. excelsa from you has finally admitted that winter has arrived and has
gone black and sad looking. We'll probably mulch it for the winter and see
how it copes, just as we did last year.