Old 05-12-2007, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Best time for cutting back Yew hard

As mentioned sometime ago, we have some old topiary Yew in our garden.

One in particular is much to big (in width basically), it overgrows the
path too much (someone once has extended the path out to the side to get
round it), and anyway, the shape really isn't pleasing anymore.

We've decided that we need to cut it back fairly hard, to reduce the
size and to reshaped it into a simpler shape (maybe a cone or maybe a
'gherkin' type shape like another one in the garden).

Not sure when the best time will be for this - I'm thinking late winter,
before the new growth starts?
--
Chris French