Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Geraniums

In article , says...

wrote ...
Hi All - have recently bought some nice old pots off some people
emigrating. One of these contains a big still flowering geranium.
As these start to die off could anyone please tell me what I should
do? I'm fairly new to gardening but if poss would like to see them
grow back next year. Any resource info you can give will be a big
help thanks.

At the risk of offending some, are we talking about the hardy Geraniums or
about the tender Pelargoniums that are incorrectly still called geraniums
(which they haven't been for decades) in the plant trade and that are used
as showy summer bedding etc.?

It will make a big difference as to the answers given.

Their name changed to Pelargonium in the 1780's and they were only called
geranium from 1750's Its odd how some names fade while others persist.
You seldom now hear anyone call Hostas, Funkia (not even sure thats how
you spell it!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk