Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
J & A Haig

Default Mystery Tree

Hi, Willow,

yeah like Wallaby said, need close-up of leaves and bark as a minimum. Any
sign underneath of old flowers or seeds/fruits/pods? I really doubt the
Chinese elms report too. Not the same upright habit we see in them here.
Don't even think along those lines - major environmental weed!

Sorry, back to the camera!

Jim

"Willow" wrote in message
True. I didn't think there was much hope. I did call the council & the

woman
there was very helpful. She said it was a chinese elm, although I've been
looking at pictures on the net & I'm not completely convinced as the leaf
shape is different (the pictures didn't show a serated leaf) & is quite
shiny whereas the ones around work are duller.

--
Wanda
aka Willow

circumstances
garden gnome
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
Wallaby Walker wrote in message
Willow, the only way you can get an ID on this tree is not from a

distant
photo (it's just a tree). You need to take photos of the leaves in

detail
and the bark, any other things like seeds and flowers.
NO ONE can give an ID from that photo.

"Willow" wrote in message
Thanks Trish. I have sent the council an email, but as yet haven't

received
a response. Maybe I should give the phone a try, it's a little more
difficult to ignore

--
Wanda
aka Willow
The missing and definitely not to be taken seriously under any

circumstances
garden gnome
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
Trish wrote in message
Willow wrote:

snip

http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow/DSC00603.jpg
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow/DSC00604.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the same tree that is at the Richmond

showground
where they have the swap meets. If this is the same thing I'm

thinking
of, I have only seen it in a Bonsai form, but the name of it is on

the
tip of my tongue (the word Japonica keeps springing into my head,

but
don't think that's it?). There is a Bonsai place just down from me,

I'll
go and
check it out this week. (Curiosity is getting the better of me now!)
Or you could ring the Council in that area, maybe they'll tell you?

Trish.

--
Trish Stadelmaier
Equinox Audio