Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Willow

Default Mystery Tree

Hi,

There's a tree at work that I really like & am considering planting several
in my front yard. Only trouble is I have no idea of what the tree is. It
stands at about 5m tall with the spread of branches also at about 5m. The
leaves are serrated & the bark is papery, although not as much as paperbark,
with colourful splotches where bark has peeled off. It seems to be a popular
tree with councils as it's planted on most of the verges around work & I've
seen several on council verges in the suburb where I live. There's a couple
of pictures of the tree if someone could have a go at identifying it for me.

http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow/DSC00603.jpg
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow/DSC00604.jpg

Thanks

--
Wanda
aka Willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Trish

Willow wrote:

snip

http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow/DSC00603.jpg
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow/DSC00604.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the same tree that is at the Richmond showground
where they have the swap meets. If this is the same thing I'm thinking
of, I have only seen it in a Bonsai form, but the name of it is on the
tip of my tongue (the word Japonica keeps springing into my head, but I
don't think that's it?). There is a Bonsai place just down from me, I'll
go and
check it out this week. (Curiosity is getting the better of me now!)
Or you could ring the Council in that area, maybe they'll tell you?

Trish.

--
Trish Stadelmaier
Equinox Audio

Sydney Australia
Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Willow

Thanks Trish. I have sent the council an email, but as yet haven't received
a response. Maybe I should give the phone a try, it's a little more
difficult to ignore

--
Wanda
aka Willow
The missing and definitely not to be taken seriously under any circumstances
garden gnome
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
Trish wrote in message

snip

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Willow

True. I didn't think there was much hope. I did call the council & the woman
there was very helpful. She said it was a chinese elm, although I've been
looking at pictures on the net & I'm not completely convinced as the leaf
shape is different (the pictures didn't show a serated leaf) & is quite
shiny whereas the ones around work are duller.

--
Wanda
aka Willow
The missing and definitely not to be taken seriously under any circumstances
garden gnome
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
Wallaby Walker wrote in message
Willow, the only way you can get an ID on this tree is not from a distant
photo (it's just a tree). You need to take photos of the leaves in detail
and the bark, any other things like seeds and flowers.
NO ONE can give an ID from that photo.

"Willow" wrote in message
Thanks Trish. I have sent the council an email, but as yet haven't

received
a response. Maybe I should give the phone a try, it's a little more
difficult to ignore

--
Wanda
aka Willow
The missing and definitely not to be taken seriously under any

circumstances
garden gnome
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
Trish wrote in message

snip

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Dissent

Trish wrote:

Willow wrote:

snip

http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow/DSC00603.jpg
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow/DSC00604.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the same tree that is at the Richmond
showground where they have the swap meets. If this is the same thing
I'm thinking of, I have only seen it in a Bonsai form, but the name
of it is on the tip of my tongue (the word Japonica keeps springing
into my head, but I don't think that's it?). There is a Bonsai place
just down from me, I'll go and
check it out this week. (Curiosity is getting the better of me now!)
Or you could ring the Council in that area, maybe they'll tell you?

Trish.

Sounds to me like it's the legendary underpants tree! Watch out for
discharge..... --
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission, hypocrisy, brutality,
the elite.... All of which are American dreams......

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
J & A Haig

Hi, Willow,

yeah like Wallaby said, need close-up of leaves and bark as a minimum. Any
sign underneath of old flowers or seeds/fruits/pods? I really doubt the
Chinese elms report too. Not the same upright habit we see in them here.
Don't even think along those lines - major environmental weed!

Sorry, back to the camera!

Jim

"Willow" wrote in message
Thanks Trish. I have sent the council an email, but as yet haven't

received
a response. Maybe I should give the phone a try, it's a little more
difficult to ignore

--
Wanda
aka Willow
The missing and definitely not to be taken seriously under any

circumstances
garden gnome
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
Trish wrote in message

snip

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Willow

Environmental weed? Not one of the aussie sites I looked at mentioned that
it was a weed. I'm now looking at planting some dwarf sugar gums (eucalyptus
cladocalyx 'nana') & maybe a weeping mulberry. Don't know what to do with
all the cuttings I took of the chinese elm, although one friend has
indicated that he's interested in using some of them for bonsai if they
take.

--
Wanda
aka Willow
The missing and definitely not to be taken seriously under any circumstances
garden gnome
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
u...

"Willow" wrote in message
[...]

Trish wrote in message

snip

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Angela Higginson

Hi Willow,

Chinese Elms are considered a weed (but not a declared noxious weed) in
Brisbane, because they seed so freely and tend to take over very
easily. However, they are beautiful trees, and you can't kill them with
a brick (god knows, I've tried!)

I have seen them suggested in gardening magazines for more southerly
climates, where they are less liable to take over the world.

Try this site:
http://www.qld.greeningaustralia.org...ide/index.html
It's got a pretty good description & closeup picture, in case you're
still not sure of the ID. Our chinese elms do have the duller leaves
and they're definitely slightly serrated.

Good luck,
Angela.

"Willow" wrote in message
[...]

Trish wrote in message

snip

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Willow

Thanks for the link. The picture doesn't look like the leaves of the tree at
work at all. The leaves are serrated, but are much smaller, dull and are
placed on opposite sides of long twigs (does this make sense?). The leaves
vary in colour from dark green on a tree that's mostly in shade to light
green/yellow on trees that receive full sun for much of the day. As yet I
haven't seen any flowers or fruit on any of the trees.

--

J & A Haig wrote in message
[...]

Trish wrote in message

snip

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
dave

argh!!! Please dont even think of growing chinese elm anywhere...

David

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Willow

Thought forgotten. I had another call from the council where the trees are
used on the council verge. Apparently they sucker like crazy if their roots
are disturbed. The guy who called highly recommended that the trees are only
planted if a creeper, such as ivy, is grown to reduce the amount of root
disturbance & to act as a mulch. There's no way in hell I want ivy in any
part of my garden & so will look into other options, such as a Dwarf Sugar
Gum or three.

--
Wanda
aka Willow
The missing and definitely not to be taken seriously under any circumstances
garden gnome
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
u...