Old 06-12-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bit more on ID-ing mysterious plant

In message , Sacha
writes
On 6/12/07 16:40, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

...we'll have to wait until and if, our pips grow into fruit
bearing shrubs.

Good luck. It only took 10 years for a seed I brought from Réunion in the
Indian Ocean in 1996 to grow into a fruit-bearing tree so that I could
identify it as Syzygium jambos from its flowers.

Yes, that dreary thought did occur to me. ;-( I just can't think why this
is so hard to pin down. If Nick and others are right and it is a form of
Chaenomeles, why on earth can't we find it?! It's very frustrating.

You could have a look at this description of circa 600 Chaenomeles
cultivars.

http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.ed...icles/1590.pdf

There's a dozen or so with fruits described as ribbed or strongly ribbed
(and more as weakly ribbed), and some of these are also described as
apple-shaped, rather than ovoid or orange-shaped. But the plant could be
a seedling, rather than a named variety.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley