Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Parsnips eaten alive

someone writes

"CWatters" wrote in message
My wifes parsnips have turned out to be hollow, eaten alive from the
inside,
some have just the outer skin left. A few are untouched and appear fine.
They were grown in a plastic box with the bottom removed - unlikely that
something like a mouse could climb the outside. Any ideas what would do
the
damage?

It could be woodlice, they can hollow out root vegetables, as I've found to
my cost.

Are you sure they are not just utilising a cavity hollowed out by slugs?

Slugs are active at night, so unless dig your root veg at night, you
won't see them in action.
--
Kay