Old 08-12-2007, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos John Varigos is offline

Default the membership thing:

Speaking as one who lives in Australia and has been a member since 1976, I
have been happy with the membership fees which basically mean Bulletin
(Orchids) subscription as I can very rarely avail myself of anything else on
offer from the AOS. (I have in the past few years been able to use my
Membership to get free entry to a couple of Botanic Gardens in the US.)

However, I am seriously considering whether I will renew my membership as I
am now not enamoured with the current format of Orchids. I would much
rather have more articles illustrated with relevant smaller colour
photographs than waste space on full page colour photos of 1 orchid. I can
get that on my computer screen. I want something that I can take to bed or
sit on my couch and read and be informed. Glancing at large full page colour
photos in a magazine doesn't do it for me.

How long have we been waiting to get a searchable index of the journal
something which would be of value to all members? Seems the focus has
been far too narrow and parochial for too long.

I am hoping that the new direction mentioned by Diana and Kenni leads to
some major changes in the Orchids bulletin and, as Kenni says, a global
focus. Obviously, over the past few years, many members have felt that
there are better things on which to spend their money than a subscription to
the AOS.

John

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
. ..
Diana: The issues about AOS HQ affect only a very small percentage of AOS
members. It is good that they are starting to communicate with the local
OS's, to avoid debacles like holding major sales at HQ during the annual
show of a nearby OS, as they have done a couple times in recent years.
Paying class teachers actual money rather than via "free" advertising in
Orchids Magazine (something useless to many of us) is also a good move,
but so far the amount is pretty paltry (less than most local OS pay their
monthly meeting speaker). But truly, those things are only good for the
local area. They don't do anything for the members around the country,
and indeed the world, who far outnumber those of us in AOS' backyard.

The membership (which pretty much equates to magazine subscriber for those
outside south Florida, since AFAIK that's all they get) dropoff indicates
that readers as well as advertisers have been less than pleased with the
format changes ... or at least not pleased enough to pay the dues
increase.

I hope you are right that the whole big ship is turning, I think there is
a need for a large organization (preferably truly global, rather than just
US-centric). But I ain't holdin' my breath. Kenni

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
It has been a huge drop off. However, I'm willing to venture that things
will turn around. I can't speak for any region except my own, but our
local experience is very good.

Events are more inclusive, and there is a great deal of contact between
AOS and the Societies. I get regular emails addressing a variety of
subjects, and we have wonderful support from judges (one in particular)
and other volunteers. The classes offered at AOS headquarters are
pertinent and span a range that has appeal to newbies and seasoned
growers.

In short, while many of us felt out of the loop in the past, that has
changed dramatically. That's a great first step. I'd be interested to
hear how the regional changes are working. Being in FL is not the same as
living in, say Chicago, I'm sure.

It's a big ship, and it will take time to turn it. IMO, they are really
trying, so we'll see.

Diana
wrote in message

Average total distribution per issue during preceding 12 months
(including
free copies) of Orchid:
2004 = 24312
2005 = 22574