Old 09-12-2007, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default the membership thing:

Expect 'Orchids' to not be so dumbed down in the future. IMHO the last 2
editions were better.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
John, as one living outside of the US, you make good points, and I
understand your feelings. But here in the States, regional centers are or
will be forming to service areas other than south Florida. As far as
communication with local societies, it is more than just starting; it has
been intense and positive.

Of course, I have heard of some local societies that are not impressed.
IMO, they tend to be groups that don't put a lot of effort into it
themselves. Some doth protest too much, methinks.

Kenni, I can see your point of view when it comes to instructing classes.
But nobody is forced to do that at all. Recently, I led a Cattleya class
for the AOS South Florida Leadership Council during an orchid fair held at
Mounts Botanical Garden in WPB. I volunteered, and did it for nothing.

Next month I'm speaking to a local garden club. No fee. Obviously, if I
did that sort of thing on a more frequent basis my attitude would be
different, but I look at these sessions as gifts that will be returned in
one form or another.

Diana

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Speaking as one who lives in Australia and has been a member since 1976,
I have been happy with the membership fees which basically mean Bulletin
(Orchids) subscription as I can very rarely avail myself of anything else
on offer from the AOS. (I have in the past few years been able to use my
Membership to get free entry to a couple of Botanic Gardens in the US.)

However, I am seriously considering whether I will renew my membership as
I am now not enamoured with the current format of Orchids. I would much
rather have more articles illustrated with relevant smaller colour
photographs than waste space on full page colour photos of 1 orchid. I
can get that on my computer screen. I want something that I can take to
bed or sit on my couch and read and be informed. Glancing at large full
page colour photos in a magazine doesn't do it for me.

How long have we been waiting to get a searchable index of the journal
something which would be of value to all members? Seems the focus has
been far too narrow and parochial for too long.

I am hoping that the new direction mentioned by Diana and Kenni leads to
some major changes in the Orchids bulletin and, as Kenni says, a global
focus. Obviously, over the past few years, many members have felt that
there are better things on which to spend their money than a subscription
to the AOS.

John

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
. ..
Diana: The issues about AOS HQ affect only a very small percentage of
AOS members. It is good that they are starting to communicate with the
local OS's, to avoid debacles like holding major sales at HQ during the
annual show of a nearby OS, as they have done a couple times in recent
years. Paying class teachers actual money rather than via "free"
advertising in Orchids Magazine (something useless to many of us) is
also a good move, but so far the amount is pretty paltry (less than most
local OS pay their monthly meeting speaker). But truly, those things
are only good for the local area. They don't do anything for the
members around the country, and indeed the world, who far outnumber
those of us in AOS' backyard.

The membership (which pretty much equates to magazine subscriber for
those outside south Florida, since AFAIK that's all they get) dropoff
indicates that readers as well as advertisers have been less than
pleased with the format changes ... or at least not pleased enough to
pay the dues increase.

I hope you are right that the whole big ship is turning, I think there
is a need for a large organization (preferably truly global, rather than
just US-centric). But I ain't holdin' my breath. Kenni

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
It has been a huge drop off. However, I'm willing to venture that
things will turn around. I can't speak for any region except my own,
but our local experience is very good.

Events are more inclusive, and there is a great deal of contact between
AOS and the Societies. I get regular emails addressing a variety of
subjects, and we have wonderful support from judges (one in particular)
and other volunteers. The classes offered at AOS headquarters are
pertinent and span a range that has appeal to newbies and seasoned
growers.

In short, while many of us felt out of the loop in the past, that has
changed dramatically. That's a great first step. I'd be interested to
hear how the regional changes are working. Being in FL is not the same
as living in, say Chicago, I'm sure.

It's a big ship, and it will take time to turn it. IMO, they are really
trying, so we'll see.

Diana
wrote in message

Average total distribution per issue during preceding 12 months
(including
free copies) of Orchid:
2004 = 24312
2005 = 22574