Old 10-12-2007, 12:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Pond covers

wrote in message
. com...
ahh.. what kind of stock tank, plastic or metal? where is it located?
If it is metal you will need to get an insulating blanket all around it,
even under
it to keep the heat in. pink foam insulation for under will stand up to
weight I
think. any kind of foam from upholstery store or fabric store should work
with
plastic around that.
if it is plastic rubbermaid type stock tank, it is insulated already and
only need
insulation over the top. clear plastic to let light in. bubble wrap
better.
even with the heater on the outside temp will dip. but it is better for
the immunity
of the fish to stay closer to 50o even if they arent eating.
Ingrid

Yes, it's a plastic RubberMaid sitting on some indoor-outdoor carpet in the
basement entryway. I was considering wrapping the outside in some kind of
insulation, but I guess it's not necessary. I doubt that the temp would drop
below 50 even if it does get colder outside. They don't normally get any
light, so it doesn't matter if it's a translucent cover or not.

I found out why the heat wasn't holding though, my new heater stopped
working after a few hours. After some invetigation I discovered that a wire
had come loose inside the heater control. It's working again now and holding
them at 66 with no problem.