Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default the membership thing:

Kenni-

Wow, *sweet*......Don't remember when anyone used that adjective to describe
me, LOL! Prickly, maybe, opinionated, definitely, but sweet?

Anyway, perhaps we've been talking past each other. I absolutely see your
points. But one of the things that AOS is trying to do is to reach out to
other regions via reps in those regions. I can't say for sure, but it would
seem a way to do that is through the regional judging centers. I hope that
effort works, because if it does it will eliminate the gap in services
between 'us' and 'them'.

As far as service is concerned, I can tell you that one of the most time
effective marketing tools I had when in business was free and fair advice.
If I were a commercial grower, I would consider it a bonus to be able to get
in front of a group for a talk, providing the drive distance was reasonable
and kept me in my physical service area. Nothing like a personal
relationship with a customer to cement loyalty.

Diana

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Diana, I've always said you were a sweet lady, and you know I respect you
as a grower. But I think you missed the main points on this one:

1. The stuff that goes on at AOS HQ, including classes, is of no
interest/benefit to the vast majority of members who get nothing more than
the magazine, in exchange for their dues. The mag (if not the whole
organization) has to be supported by advertiser $$, and it's been priced
out of reach for small and even mid-sized growers. I don't know whether
there's been an effect on revenue, possibly the big growers who can afford
it are taking up the "slack." But they won't keep doing that if
readership continues to dwindle. I would like to think that the absence
of more diverse advertising, including the smaller growers, is a
contributing factor to the decline in reader interest ...

2. Of course no one is forced to teach AOS classes (altho I've heard of
some judges being pressured pretty hard). But relying on charity is a
chancy way to obtain quality speakers to teach classes. Generous souls
willing to work for free, and esp. those like yourself who actually know
what they're talking about, are not all that commonly available. Kenni

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
SNIP
Kenni, I can see your point of view when it comes to instructing classes.
But nobody is forced to do that at all. Recently, I led a Cattleya class
for the AOS South Florida Leadership Council during an orchid fair held
at Mounts Botanical Garden in WPB. I volunteered, and did it for nothing.

Next month I'm speaking to a local garden club. No fee. Obviously, if I
did that sort of thing on a more frequent basis my attitude would be
different, but I look at these sessions as gifts that will be returned in
one form or another.

Diana