Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default I think I'm losing one - advice please

JaneB wrote:
On Dec 9, 8:30 pm, "Diana Kulaga" wrote:

Oh, s**t. Check for root/stem rot in the pot. Take it from one who has,
sorrowfully, lost almost all her Phals. Hope I'm wrong, wrong, wrong.

Diana

"JaneB" wrote in message

I moved the plant.

Pictures of the leaves are he

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/phalleaf2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/phalleaf1.jpg

I couldn't quite get a good photo with both bad leaves in the same
shot. After taking the pics I removed the leaf in the first photo.
The second will probably come of tomorrow or the next day.

I appreciate the help.

I examined the roots. They are pale but very firm. Much like the
lower roots always look when I repot.

So - now what??

In my humble opinion I'd cut away the rotted leaves to good sound leaf
structure, all the way to the axil by the looks of it. Drench the
affected areas with peroxide - the same stuff you have in your medicine
cabinet at home - then seal the cut areas with cinnamon - the same
stuff you have in your spice cabinet at home, keep the plant isolated
from the others and see how things progress. If the leaves continue to
yellow and drop then teh bacteria have gotten into the central stem of
the plant. If not you caught it in time amd halted the spread.

K Barrett