Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Trish Brown

Default Maple or other ornamental trees for West facing garden

My Mum's house is in a similar situation in Newcastle. She has
Tibouchinas (three of them in various shades of purple) and a
sun-tolerant Camellia providing good shelter for her roses, which are
thriving.

Mine (roses, that is) are turning steadily into tea-leaves! In spite of
mulch, our soil has almost perfect draining and so I can barely get
their roots wet!

Plumbago makes a nice show and will grow taller than you might think if
you let it. I've seen some lovely deep blue ones around lately, or you
could mix the blue variety with the white one?

I believe some of the native Lilly Pillys make good shelter trees and if
you're into that sort of thing, Casuarinas do too (lovely sound in the
wind!) Mind you, if you plant casuarinas, you *could* end up being
landlord to a cockatoo condominium!

Let us know what you decide, won't you? :-)
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia