Old 12-12-2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default A mystery of the botanists among us

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/11/07 9:31 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Day of the Dandelion by Peter Pringle

Just finished this - the use of the humble dandelion's ability to asexually
reproduce is grafted on a food crop and could change agriculture the world
over. But will the selfless scientist and his colleagues patent it first or
will the minions of the evil agri-business manage to steal and murder their
way to the patent.

A bit of romp across Britain and Switzerland, lot of interesting plant info
(be prepared to spend a lot of time with google) and a great anti-hero in
Arthur Hemmings. I am hoping there will be more.

A great way to spend a snowy winter evening...

Maybe, but asexual reproduction? I think I prefer the ol' fashion way.
If nothing else it keeps your social skills sharp.

Actually most food crops are annuals but there is work afoot to create
perennial food crops.

Happy Holidays;-)

So are dandelions Billy! And some food crops can be perennials - berries,
fruits....

BUT - if you have very little botany or science in your background, the plot
does make more sense.

Ah, uh, huh?

http://www.landinstitute.org/pages/B...nialGrains.pdf

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../HOFKT0647.DTL
&hw=Ten+perennial+veggies+to+grow&sn=001&sc=100 0
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars