Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default A mystery of the botanists among us

Day of the Dandelion by Peter Pringle

Just finished this - the use of the humble dandelion's ability to asexually
reproduce is grafted on a food crop and could change agriculture the world
over. But will the selfless scientist and his colleagues patent it first or
will the minions of the evil agri-business manage to steal and murder their
way to the patent.

A bit of romp across Britain and Switzerland, lot of interesting plant info
(be prepared to spend a lot of time with google) and a great anti-hero in
Arthur Hemmings. I am hoping there will be more.

A great way to spend a snowy winter evening...

Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 11, 4:06 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Day of the Dandelion by Peter Pringle

Just finished this - the use of the humble dandelion's ability to asexually
reproduce is grafted on a food crop and could change agriculture the world
over. But will the selfless scientist and his colleagues patent it first or
will the minions of the evil agri-business manage to steal and murder their
way to the patent.

A bit of romp across Britain and Switzerland, lot of interesting plant info
(be prepared to spend a lot of time with google) and a great anti-hero in
Arthur Hemmings. I am hoping there will be more.

A great way to spend a snowy winter evening...

Sounds like a good read, Cheryl, Oh, is it OK to read it even if
there is no snow? :^) I'll look for it. Thanks
Emilie
NorCal
Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Day of the Dandelion by Peter Pringle

Just finished this - the use of the humble dandelion's ability to asexually
reproduce is grafted on a food crop and could change agriculture the world
over. But will the selfless scientist and his colleagues patent it first or
will the minions of the evil agri-business manage to steal and murder their
way to the patent.

A bit of romp across Britain and Switzerland, lot of interesting plant info
(be prepared to spend a lot of time with google) and a great anti-hero in
Arthur Hemmings. I am hoping there will be more.

A great way to spend a snowy winter evening...

Maybe, but asexual reproduction? I think I prefer the ol' fashion way.
If nothing else it keeps your social skills sharp.

Actually most food crops are annuals but there is work afoot to create
perennial food crops.

Happy Holidays;-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 12-12-2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/11/07 9:31 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

So are dandelions Billy! And some food crops can be perennials - berries,
fruits....

BUT - if you have very little botany or science in your background, the plot
does make more sense.

Ah, uh, huh?

http://www.landinstitute.org/pages/B...nialGrains.pdf

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../HOFKT0647.DTL
&hw=Ten+perennial+veggies+to+grow&sn=001&sc=100 0
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 13-12-2007, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/12/07 3:21 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/11/07 9:31 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

I've saved that for reading while I'm a little more awake.

And seriously, if you can suspend thinking (about the botany), the plot
makes more sense.

Old 13-12-2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/12/07 3:21 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/11/07 9:31 PM, in article
,
"Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Thanks for suggesting the book. I'll look for it at the library.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 13-12-2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/13/07 1:31 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/12/07 3:21 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/11/07 9:31 PM, in article
,
"Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

You're welcome...

Old 17-12-2007, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 11, 4:06 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Day of the Dandelion by Peter Pringle

Just finished this - the use of the humble dandelion's ability to asexually
reproduce is grafted on a food crop and could change agriculture the world
over. But will the selfless scientist and his colleagues patent it first or
will the minions of the evil agri-business manage to steal and murder their
way to the patent.

A bit of romp across Britain and Switzerland, lot of interesting plant info
(be prepared to spend a lot of time with google) and a great anti-hero in
Arthur Hemmings. I am hoping there will be more.

A great way to spend a snowy winter evening...

Darn, my library doesnt have the dandelion book yet, But I did find
that
PP has other interesting books: One was about Earthworms, for
children,
and another Food, Inc. Mendel to Monsanto-the Promises and Perils
of the Biotech Harvest. This sounded interesting, so I brought it
home
instead. Rather be entertained by the mystery, but maybe I'll learn
something instead....LOL
Emilie

Old 17-12-2007, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 17, 3:28 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 12/16/07 8:53 PM, in article
,

"mleblanca" wrote:
[...]

Ask them to get the mystery. Lots of google opportunities and I loved having
a botanist as the hero.

Yes I did request that they get it.
I have been reading some quilting fiction:
The Elm Creek Quilts series by
Jennifer Chiaverini

Some are present day and some are historical.
All have a quilt/s as an important part of the story.
Not really 'mysteries', but have things to be solved
Fun
Emilie