Old 13-12-2007, 05:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
Stan Pierce Stan Pierce is offline

Default instant post supports

"Terryc" wrote in message
(snipped)
My only concern would be stability over time. If they do not go in a
good depth, which you have to screw in, sideways forces can cause a bigger
and bigger wobble over time. It may not be a problem

I do see a need to adapt them to stop sideways lean. Cut 300mm squares of
5mm plate steel and a 50mm hole punched in the centre. Place on the ground
and screw the post holder through the hole. A tent peg driven against two
edges will fix it.

Sideways lean is the only fault I can see in them at the moment. There is
no upward lift to worry about.
I want no more of that concreting business. Plus the fact you can unscrew
these and place the walk elswhere if you want to. And no mess. I'd make
them myself if I could work out how they put that spiral on the shaft.
Looks like a lot of welding to me.
I also think the gadget could be improved in design....especially a collar
to stop the sideways lean...but also the spiral only needs to be near the
tip and about half way up with a wider cutting edge at that point ...to act
as an anti-lean collar...more metal spiral surface to press on the
soil....if you see what I mean. I see a big future in the idea.