Old 17-12-2007, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default A mystery of the botanists among us

On Dec 11, 4:06 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Day of the Dandelion by Peter Pringle

Just finished this - the use of the humble dandelion's ability to asexually
reproduce is grafted on a food crop and could change agriculture the world
over. But will the selfless scientist and his colleagues patent it first or
will the minions of the evil agri-business manage to steal and murder their
way to the patent.

A bit of romp across Britain and Switzerland, lot of interesting plant info
(be prepared to spend a lot of time with google) and a great anti-hero in
Arthur Hemmings. I am hoping there will be more.

A great way to spend a snowy winter evening...

Darn, my library doesnt have the dandelion book yet, But I did find
that
PP has other interesting books: One was about Earthworms, for
children,
and another Food, Inc. Mendel to Monsanto-the Promises and Perils
of the Biotech Harvest. This sounded interesting, so I brought it
home
instead. Rather be entertained by the mystery, but maybe I'll learn
something instead....LOL
Emilie