Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Andrew G

Default Sir Walter Buffalo - seed pods?

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi all,

My Sir Walter lawn has sprouted what looks like seed pods pretty much all
over the lawn - they relatively stiff shoots with small purple flowers on
them.

It did this last year as well (hence I don't think its related to the
drought) and after a few weeks everything returned to normal, but I was
wondering if these are indeed "normal" and to be expected.

According to www.sirwalter.com.au sir walter is a sterile male plpant, so

did not expect it to seed in this way (if indeed seeding is what it is
doing!)

Is this normal?

If it is sterile, and male, then by rights there should be NO seeds in it at
all.
Flower heads are possible, then the labelling of it as "sterile" can mean 2
things:
The pollen produced by the flowers is sterile, therefore if it is crossed
with a female seeds will not be produced
OR
being a male it will only ever produce pollen and never seeds.

There you go, I never knew this grass was male or female.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply