Old 18-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Johan Johan is offline
Registered User

Location: West-Flanders, Belgium
Default Hedge for moist clay

Hello,
I live in the West of Belgium, about 15km from the coast. I've acquired a cottage a few years ago and after restoring that, now I'd like to renovate the garden.

I'm having a bit of trouble choosing a suitable evergreen hedge for one side of the garden (no drainage), adjacent to a field (with drainage). I would really prefer to plant a yew hedge but I'm not sure that it'll survive in the soil I have.
The soil is clay (heavy clay about 80cm-1m deep). In winter it's rather moist without ever having standing water.

Where the hedge should be, there are also some maple trees, several willow trees and in the center of the lawn a few walnut trees. They all seem to do fine. They've been there at least 40 years. The willow trees a lot longer even. I don't know if the presence of these trees benefits to a better drainage or not. A lower level of water in the ground maybe, I don't know.

Does anyone have a yew hedge in similar soil?
Do you have any suggestions?
Many thanks.

Johan