Old 18-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered User

Location: West-Flanders, Belgium
Default Hedge for moist clay

Hello,
I live in the West of Belgium, about 15km from the coast. I've acquired a cottage a few years ago and after restoring that, now I'd like to renovate the garden.

I'm having a bit of trouble choosing a suitable evergreen hedge for one side of the garden (no drainage), adjacent to a field (with drainage). I would really prefer to plant a yew hedge but I'm not sure that it'll survive in the soil I have.
The soil is clay (heavy clay about 80cm-1m deep). In winter it's rather moist without ever having standing water.

Where the hedge should be, there are also some maple trees, several willow trees and in the center of the lawn a few walnut trees. They all seem to do fine. They've been there at least 40 years. The willow trees a lot longer even. I don't know if the presence of these trees benefits to a better drainage or not. A lower level of water in the ground maybe, I don't know.

Does anyone have a yew hedge in similar soil?
Do you have any suggestions?
Many thanks.

Johan
Old 18-12-2007, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:47:50 +0000, Johan
wrote:

[...]

Clay soil or sandy soil are not good for plants. However, clay soil
typically has more nutrients than sandy soil which is a plus in your
case. Prepare the area to plant your hedge by tilling in compost. You
may have to rent a powerful tiller for this job if the area is large.
Some sharp tools (such as an axe) will be needed to break up roots
when you prepare the bed. Walnut and willow trees can be
problematic. With so many trees you should have enough material to
make your own compost.
Old 19-12-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Since the compost will be gone after the first couple of years, till in
sand to 20% - 30% with the compost, which will also help with drainage.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102577/Half-Strongly-
Disapprove-Bush-Job-Performance.aspx

Old 23-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered User

Location: West-Flanders, Belgium

Since 2003 I've put about 10-15cm of mulch/chopped wood twice on the soil of the bed. I think I'll have a go at planting a yew hedge and see what happens. Anyone with an evergreen hedge on clay soil, please feel free to give me your advice. I'd appreciate it a lot.
Old 23-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Registered User

Location: West-Flanders, Belgium

Since 2003 I've put about 10-15cm of mulch/chopped wood two or three times on the soil of the bed. I think I'll have a go at planting a yew hedge and see what happens. Anyone with an evergreen hedge on clay soil, please feel free to give me your advice. I'd appreciate it a lot.