Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Dave

Default Sir Walter Buffalo - seed pods?

Given its only really rained once here in 6 months (Sydney) I'm quite happy
with it - its doing as good if not better than my neighbours lawns but I do
find I have to keep the water up to it as I have very shallow (ie: 20cm)
sandy soil on top of a sandstone shelf.

Its only been down 14 months - and I hope that given "normal" rainfall and
an established root system I won't have to water it very often... but I
guess I'll have to wait till at least next summer to find out!

Most of my lawn is in full sun all day - one section however receives no
direct sun at all during winter and it does die off a bit - you defintately
would not want any foot traffic in this area.

So only real "con" if you like is that you do not want heavy traffic in a
shaded area of the lawn - but as far as I can tell this is the case for all
lawns.

Full sun - as long as it gets enough water - no worries.

Ciao,
Dave.

"Willow" wrote in message
How's the Sir Walter Buffalo otherwise? I'm thinking of using it out the
front where the garden receives a mix of direct sun for most of the day &
dappled shade all year round. Any pros & cons with using it in these
conditions? Still in Perth, very dry & very sandy

--
Wanda
aka Willow

circumstances
garden gnome
http://www.2000cn.com.au/~willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
Dave wrote in message
Hi all,

My Sir Walter lawn has sprouted what looks like seed pods pretty much

all
over the lawn - they relatively stiff shoots with small purple flowers

on
them.

It did this last year as well (hence I don't think its related to the
drought) and after a few weeks everything returned to normal, but I was
wondering if these are indeed "normal" and to be expected.

According to www.sirwalter.com.au sir walter is a sterile male plpant,

so
did not expect it to seed in this way (if indeed seeding is what it is
doing!)

Is this normal?

Ciao,
Dave.