Old 23-12-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Recommend a vineyard

"cineman" wrote:

http://www.halfpennygreenvineyards.co.uk/

nearby is airfield known as halfpenny green airfield, or wolverhampton
business airfield now.

Crikey, that name takes me back to my childhood. When I was a kid a
favourite treat was a visit to there and the nearby common at
Bobbington. Close friends of the family, we called 'Aunty May' and
'Uncle Cyril' took me out there on light, sunny evenings in summer and
the trip was always highlighted by their constant bickering, with May
telling Cyril how to drive and to watch out for this and that.
Cyril's brusque and increasingly irritated responses were always fired
back with lightning speed. By the time we had returned to Dudley, WW3
was about to break out. Once out of the car they were fine with the
verbal warfare completely forgotten. I would have been 7 or 8 at the
time and could never decide whether the walks through the birch copses
or the arguments that followed were the most entertaining.

I wonder if the wine shop is open over the holiday. I'm going up to
Stourbridge for Christmas week and might take a drive over. I don't
go a bundle on very dry wines, but there seems to be a few that may be
worth trying.