Old 22-12-2007, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommend a vineyard

Hi all, and happy festivities,

I am looking for other peoples views on vineyards within the UK, with
the idea of visiting some during the coming summer, and perhaps
including links to them on my web site.

So if you know of any that you think deserve a visit, and highly
recommend, or alternatively any you most certainly do not recommend,
then I.d like to hear from you.

If this is not too P.C. for some, then an alternative email address is
.

George
Old 22-12-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Dec, 08:15, "Warts'n'all" wrote:
Hi all, and happy festivities,

I am looking for other peoples views on vineyards within the UK, with
the idea of visiting some during the coming summer, and perhaps
including links to them on my web site.

So if you know of any that you think deserve a visit, and highly
recommend, or alternatively any you most certainly do not recommend,
then I.d like to hear from you.

If this is not too P.C. for some, then an alternative email address is
.

George

Hi George,

There are quite a number of vineyards in England now,and I am sure
that many are worth a visit.I have been to a couple near Biddenden in
Kent,which are good and interesting,but the one I know best is Three
Choirs Vineyard near Newent in Gloucestershire.They have many
varieties growing and I have found them very useful with their advice
to an amateur vine grower like myself.I grow about 30 vines in
Herefordshire and make wine(white and red)which people tell me is much
better than they can afford to buy.Another point about Three Choirs is
that you can get a very nice meal there.Cheers,Michael
Old 22-12-2007, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

George wrote
I am looking for other peoples views on vineyards within the UK, with
the idea of visiting some during the coming summer, and perhaps
including links to them on my web site.

So if you know of any that you think deserve a visit, and highly
recommend, or alternatively any you most certainly do not recommend,
then I.d like to hear from you.

New Hall Vineyard, Purleigh, Essex excellent wines including a Red, the
largest vineyard in the UK (despite what Denbies say!) if you take acreage
under vines. They have a wine festival every year August/September time when
you can taste all the wines and buy. You can also rent a row of vines and
pay them to make the wine thereby becoming, according to EU law, a wine
grower which allows you to drink without paying duty & retail markup etc
i.e. it's £2+ per bottle instead of £6+. You do take a chance with the
amount of bottles you get per row, it's normally about 300, yield is
dependant on the weather and you have to collect it yourself.
http://www.newhallwines.co.uk/

Others also do the "rent a row" scheme but seem to split the savings, unlike
this grower.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-12-2007, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Warts'n'all" wrote in message
Hi all, and happy festivities,

I am looking for other peoples views on vineyards within the UK, with
the idea of visiting some during the coming summer, and perhaps
including links to them on my web site.

So if you know of any that you think deserve a visit, and highly
recommend, or alternatively any you most certainly do not recommend,
then I.d like to hear from you.

If this is not too P.C. for some, then an alternative email address is
.

George

Hi
http://www.halfpennygreenvineyards.co.uk/

nearby is airfield known as halfpenny green airfield, or wolverhampton
business airfield now.
This was the location for a war film during the 50's starring Jack Hawkins
amongst others. "The Man in the Sky"
also
"Fly into danger" a tv series during the 70's

The wine perfectly palatable, my favourites being Black Country gold and
Penny Black .
Regards
Cineman
( Santa please stop here)

Old 22-12-2007, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
George wrote
[...]

Link saved.........thanks
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 23-12-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

"cineman" wrote:

http://www.halfpennygreenvineyards.co.uk/

nearby is airfield known as halfpenny green airfield, or wolverhampton
business airfield now.

Crikey, that name takes me back to my childhood. When I was a kid a
favourite treat was a visit to there and the nearby common at
Bobbington. Close friends of the family, we called 'Aunty May' and
'Uncle Cyril' took me out there on light, sunny evenings in summer and
the trip was always highlighted by their constant bickering, with May
telling Cyril how to drive and to watch out for this and that.
Cyril's brusque and increasingly irritated responses were always fired
back with lightning speed. By the time we had returned to Dudley, WW3
was about to break out. Once out of the car they were fine with the
verbal warfare completely forgotten. I would have been 7 or 8 at the
time and could never decide whether the walks through the birch copses
or the arguments that followed were the most entertaining.

I wonder if the wine shop is open over the holiday. I'm going up to
Stourbridge for Christmas week and might take a drive over. I don't
go a bundle on very dry wines, but there seems to be a few that may be
worth trying.

Old 23-12-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 Warts'n'all wrote:

I am looking for other peoples views on vineyards within the UK, with
the idea of visiting some during the coming summer, and perhaps
including links to them on my web site.

We have a very good one near here at Twyford (Berks).

http://www.stanlakepark.com/

I've was particularly impressed with their sweet white. They seem happy
for you to wander round the vineyard.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 23-12-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote ...
Bob Hobden wrote:
New Hall Vineyard, Purleigh, Essex excellent wines including a Red,
the largest vineyard in the UK (despite what Denbies say!) if you
take acreage under vines. They have a wine festival every year
August/September time when you can taste all the wines and buy. You
can also rent a row of vines and pay them to make the wine thereby
becoming, according to EU law, a wine grower which allows you to
drink without paying duty & retail markup etc i.e. it's £2+ per
bottle instead of £6+. You do take a chance with the amount of
bottles you get per row, it's normally about 300, yield is dependant
on the weather and you have to collect it yourself.
http://www.newhallwines.co.uk/
Others also do the "rent a row" scheme but seem to split the savings,
unlike this grower.

Link saved.........thanks

If you do decide to visit there is an excellent proper Tea Room called "Tea
on the Green" in Danbury where we always try to lunch. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-12-2007, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
George wrote
I am looking for other peoples views on vineyards within the UK,
with the idea of visiting some during the coming summer, and perhaps
including links to them on my web site.

So if you know of any that you think deserve a visit, and highly
recommend, or alternatively any you most certainly do not recommend,
then I.d like to hear from you.

New Hall Vineyard, Purleigh, Essex excellent wines including a Red,
the largest vineyard in the UK (despite what Denbies say!) if you
take acreage under vines.

(snip)

But Denbies is a well-organised commercial operation, and have trips round
their vineyard on tractor-pulled carriages (as it is pretty hilly, and
covers around 250 acres, that is a great advantage in hot weather).

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 23-12-2007, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote
Pete C wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
George wrote
I am looking for other peoples views on vineyards within the UK,
with the idea of visiting some during the coming summer, and perhaps
including links to them on my web site.

So if you know of any that you think deserve a visit, and highly
recommend, or alternatively any you most certainly do not recommend,
then I.d like to hear from you.

New Hall Vineyard, Purleigh, Essex excellent wines including a Red,
the largest vineyard in the UK (despite what Denbies say!) if you
take acreage under vines.

(snip)

But Denbies is a well-organised commercial operation, and have trips round
their vineyard on tractor-pulled carriages (as it is pretty hilly, and
covers around 250 acres, that is a great advantage in hot weather).

That's why they have dug up a lot of their vines then?
I've been around Denbies and it's an interesting tour and their very
commercial shop and cafe are good too, rather in the vein of the National
Trust, possibly not as good as the Savill Garden.
Unfortunately, New Hall just make wine. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden