Old 23-12-2007, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Recommend a vineyard

"Jeff Layman" wrote
Pete C wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
George wrote
I am looking for other peoples views on vineyards within the UK,
with the idea of visiting some during the coming summer, and perhaps
including links to them on my web site.

So if you know of any that you think deserve a visit, and highly
recommend, or alternatively any you most certainly do not recommend,
then I.d like to hear from you.

New Hall Vineyard, Purleigh, Essex excellent wines including a Red,
the largest vineyard in the UK (despite what Denbies say!) if you
take acreage under vines.

(snip)

But Denbies is a well-organised commercial operation, and have trips round
their vineyard on tractor-pulled carriages (as it is pretty hilly, and
covers around 250 acres, that is a great advantage in hot weather).

That's why they have dug up a lot of their vines then?
I've been around Denbies and it's an interesting tour and their very
commercial shop and cafe are good too, rather in the vein of the National
Trust, possibly not as good as the Savill Garden.
Unfortunately, New Hall just make wine. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden