Old 29-12-2007, 06:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
len garden len garden is offline

Default Palm Problems

g'day greg,

we ahd similar problem occur soon after we planted a largish majestic
palm, it started this die back sort of growth ie.,. grew new fronds
but they didn't last as long as they should.

soil tests revealed that in this case we ahdn't used enough lime as in
this one patch of agrden the sub soil was acid. we where able to
remove the palm and redo the dolomite ammendment and the palm grew
great after that.

so wonder if the ph has changed around the plams? dig down around 6"s
inside the drip lines to get a soil sample and get the ph tested most
good nurseries do that for free.

if it is the case then we hope the soil is soft so you can use a
crowbar to creat holes to drop dolomite down as well as spread it
around the surface and mulch over the top of it.

have you also done a google for palm problems whatever? and it also
may not heurt to talk to a palm nursery expert i fone will listen?

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:33:03 +1100, "Greg William"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev