Old 30-12-2007, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener[_2_] madgardener[_2_] is offline

Default Christmas Bloomers

well hello Emilie!! I too have a Christmas bloomer.....it is a bumpy
little agave? aloe? that I picked up reduced at a Knoxville Kroger store
at the end of summer on a whim....knowing damn well that I would have
need to take these plants somewhere when I had to relocate, I just
COULDN'T RESIST........the worst thing is two of the pots of succulents
were awesome, but NO DRAIN HOLES!! (I need to find the drill bit to
drill a hole in the bottom of the pot, but the tools are packed or gone
to ex-squire........) so after deciding what plants to house with
Gloria (aka only the Iguana's know for sure who moved to Tennessee from
Florida and is but an hour's drive from where I am currently) until I
know where I will land, I just couldn't take everything up there to
her......I kept a few succulents and cacti and a few tropicals that are
easily moved in my old metal and impact resistant Lucerne milk crates
that I've had for 28 years that are odd sized. They're rectangular and
are wonderful for transporting my neat smaller pots of
pricklies.............ANYWAY the warty little succulent sent up three
shoots and the flowers are incredibly ORANGE and white with blush
pink......AWESOME!! I've asked Gloria if she's seen red tongue sign in
the African Blood Lilies yet. I might get that pot to just keep an eye
on it. it always blooms around February and perks me up.

Thanks for sharing the list with us. this is the first time since
getting the job at the retirement village that I work at
cooking/serving/baking/etc, etc that I've been able to sit and READ
posts of friends. It was even awesome to see Paghat's name in a post.
Long time no see her, eh? still no sign of a place to land, not looking
as hard as I should but there are things to consider and my true husband
(James) is frantically searching for employment as I write. it's
frustrating to say the least. and I have split days off to add insult to
aggravation and he's the only one packing up the house right now.

the weather here has finally broken and we're getting much needed
moisture now, but nowhere near the amount we're deficient. Today was
wonderfully overcast and humid and low lying clouds everywhere. I'd
hate to relocate to somewhere other than these mountainous areas here in
Eastern Tennessee. Well enough of that. I will write a little ??
update and post it whilst I can and have internet still. My love to you.
When you get another abundant crop of white rain lilies (Zepheranthes)
think of me and save them to send me a handful. or any other color you
might have too many of. I've apparently been unable to locate the
Montbretia crocosmia that I used to have. The Lucifer's are easy to
locate. And the yellow one. But the orangy ones that are common out
west are impossible to find. I intend on keeping my container gardens
if I can at all possibilities...

Keep in touch as you are able. After January 3rd and the foreclosure
and sale of Faerie Holler, I will know how long I have to vacate my home
and move for sure. Not that I don't already know I have to move, it's
just hard right now, and rentals are outrageous at the moment with
little available that allow pets....

madgardener, still temporarily up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler,
overlooking a misty and cloudy and blue gray English Mountain in Eastern
Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36