Old 26-12-2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Christmas Bloomers

Here is what is blooming in my Northern California garden
on Christmas Day 2007.
A sunny day this am, but became cloudy in the pm. Temperature
not a warm day at 48 degrees.

Abutilon, both pink and red/orange plants
Alyssum {Lobularia)
Begonia, white flowered fibrous type
Buckwheat, Eriognum
Bottlebrush (Callistemon)
Brazilian Plume
Camellia, Kanjiro, Pink Perfection, Jordans Pride, Yuletide
Erica Furzey
Euryops
Erysimum, Bowles Mauve
Forget me nots, {Myosotis)
Globe Mallow (Sphaeralcea)
Gaillardia, Oranges and Lemons
Iris Eleanor Roosevelt
Jupiters Beard, (Centranthus)
Lavender
Loropetalum Monraz
Malva
Potato Vine (Solanum) white
Plumbago
Pelargoniums
Rose several 'waif' leftover blooms
Strawberry Pink Panda
Viburnum tinus
Wallflower
28 plants 2007. Dec 25 2006: 21 plants

Hope your day was a great one, and a
Happy New Year.
Emilie
NorCal
Old 28-12-2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/25/2007 5:17 PM, mleblanca wrote:
[...]

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_bloom.html. I count 21
right now.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 30-12-2007, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

well hello Emilie!! I too have a Christmas bloomer.....it is a bumpy
little agave? aloe? that I picked up reduced at a Knoxville Kroger store
at the end of summer on a whim....knowing damn well that I would have
need to take these plants somewhere when I had to relocate, I just
COULDN'T RESIST........the worst thing is two of the pots of succulents
were awesome, but NO DRAIN HOLES!! (I need to find the drill bit to
drill a hole in the bottom of the pot, but the tools are packed or gone
to ex-squire........) so after deciding what plants to house with
Gloria (aka only the Iguana's know for sure who moved to Tennessee from
Florida and is but an hour's drive from where I am currently) until I
know where I will land, I just couldn't take everything up there to
her......I kept a few succulents and cacti and a few tropicals that are
easily moved in my old metal and impact resistant Lucerne milk crates
that I've had for 28 years that are odd sized. They're rectangular and
are wonderful for transporting my neat smaller pots of
pricklies.............ANYWAY the warty little succulent sent up three
shoots and the flowers are incredibly ORANGE and white with blush
pink......AWESOME!! I've asked Gloria if she's seen red tongue sign in
the African Blood Lilies yet. I might get that pot to just keep an eye
on it. it always blooms around February and perks me up.

Thanks for sharing the list with us. this is the first time since
getting the job at the retirement village that I work at
cooking/serving/baking/etc, etc that I've been able to sit and READ
posts of friends. It was even awesome to see Paghat's name in a post.
Long time no see her, eh? still no sign of a place to land, not looking
as hard as I should but there are things to consider and my true husband
(James) is frantically searching for employment as I write. it's
frustrating to say the least. and I have split days off to add insult to
aggravation and he's the only one packing up the house right now.

the weather here has finally broken and we're getting much needed
moisture now, but nowhere near the amount we're deficient. Today was
wonderfully overcast and humid and low lying clouds everywhere. I'd
hate to relocate to somewhere other than these mountainous areas here in
Eastern Tennessee. Well enough of that. I will write a little ??
update and post it whilst I can and have internet still. My love to you.
When you get another abundant crop of white rain lilies (Zepheranthes)
think of me and save them to send me a handful. or any other color you
might have too many of. I've apparently been unable to locate the
Montbretia crocosmia that I used to have. The Lucifer's are easy to
locate. And the yellow one. But the orangy ones that are common out
west are impossible to find. I intend on keeping my container gardens
if I can at all possibilities...

Keep in touch as you are able. After January 3rd and the foreclosure
and sale of Faerie Holler, I will know how long I have to vacate my home
and move for sure. Not that I don't already know I have to move, it's
just hard right now, and rentals are outrageous at the moment with
little available that allow pets....

madgardener, still temporarily up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler,
overlooking a misty and cloudy and blue gray English Mountain in Eastern
Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 31-12-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 28, 11:03 am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 12/25/2007 5:17 PM, mleblanca wrote:

Here is what is blooming in my Northern California garden
on Christmas Day 2007.

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_bloom.html. I count 21
right now.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

David
I'm glad you're getting the Hill landscaped and sure do hope it stays
OK
I havve Potentilla Neumanniana and its a nice little plant. Not
blooming here
right now.

Cold rain here all weekend, but a little sun peeked thru this
afternoon. About
a half inch of rain total from this storm. I think it was cold
everywhere in CA!!

Happy New Year
Emilie

Old 31-12-2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 30, 2:22 pm, madgardener wrote:

well hello Emilie!! I too have a Christmas bloomer.....it is a bumpy
little agave? aloe?

Hello Maddie! nice to hear from you. Your little aloe sounds lovely-
I have one but it hasn't bloomed yet. quite small.

so after deciding what plants to house with
Gloria (aka only the Iguana's know for sure who moved to Tennessee from
Florida and is but an hour's drive from where I am currently).

That is so nice of Gloria, I knew she moved to Tenn, but not aware
that she
is so close, say Hi from me......

Thanks for sharing the list with us.

Thanks for reading it! We have had a COLD rain since Fri, so some
things are
not looking as good. The roses are gone, but I'll be starting to
prune, so that
doesn't matter. I did notice some China Lily narcissus in bloom today,
during a
little break of sunshine.

It was even awesome to see Paghat's name in a post.
Long time no see her, eh?

Yes, that was great to see her name again. Missed her......

My love to you. And mine to you.

When you get another abundant crop of white rain lilies (Zepheranthes)
think of me and save them to send me a handful.

I will be glad to send you some Rain Lilies when you get a place for
them
Did you know their other name is Flower of the West Wind, I love that!

Montbretia crocosmia that I used to have. The Lucifer's are easy to
locate. And the yellow one. But the orangy ones that are common out
west are impossible to find.

The old common Montbretia/crocosmias grow like weeds here. In fact
they are considered invasive on the coast wild lands. I could probably
locate someone to share some of those too..

Best of luck to you and hope you are able to find a new garden to
love.
Emilie

Old 31-12-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/30/2007 5:30 PM, mleblanca wrote:
[...]

I had Potentilla neumanniana (cinquefoil) in the garden that was
"destroyed" by regrading my hill. From that experience, I think the
nursery plants that my landscape contractor used might have been forced
into bloom.

Today, while planting spring bulbs, I found some cinquefoil seedlings in
a bed where cinquefoil used to grow but where I didn't want it planted
now. Also, after paying to have my hill planted with African daisy
(Osteospermum fruticosum) along with English ivy (Hedera helix), I now
find seedling African daisy both in my beds and on the base of the hill.
I also found two Nasturtium seedlings.

However, the number one weed in my garden remains seedlings from my ash
tree (Fraxinus uhdei).

Old 31-12-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default bloomers and a little chatting

mleblanca wrote:
[...]

despite that there are those who frown upon not cleaning up posts to
answer........yes, I will take white,yellow or pink Flowers of the West
Wind (Zephyranthes to others.......gbseg) and will pot them up to keep
safe during winter months to live with the African Blood lily, the
African Eucharist (African daffodil is the common name and I might have
mis-spelled the proper name). Yes, Gloria is a short drive to visit.
things here are sorta stressful at the moment, and now I might lose my
internet and the library doesn't allow access to the internet, so I will
print out your address so I can e-mail you personally. Happy New year
and lets hope this up and coming new one is better for all of us.

Maddie

[IMG] code is On

Christmas Bloomers mleblanca Gardening 2 29-12-2010 10:31 PM
Christmas Bloomers mleblanca Gardening 0 26-12-2006 05:49 PM
Christmas bloomers mleblanca Gardening 6 02-01-2006 01:04 AM
Christmas bloomers MLEBLANCA Gardening 5 27-12-2004 09:38 PM
Christmas Eve Bloomers MLEBLANCA Gardening 7 25-12-2003 09:32 PM