Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Andrew G

Default Corn seeds

"Tom Elliott" wrote in message
I have noticed that when buying corn seeds, they are covered in red
stuff. A friend of mine said that this was a growth hormone, while I
thought it might be an anti fungal treatment.

Since I plan to grow corn from seeds which I will be harvesting this
year, can anyone tell me what the red stuff is, and whether it is
necessary for seeds that will be stored for less than a year.

Thanks all,

Tom.

It is probably an anti-fungal treatment. We were told during our
apprenticeship that dusting collected seed with a anti fungal treatment is
the correct way, but you can get away without it. As the seeds you mentioned
were being sold, it's hard to determine how long 'till they get used, and as
it's being sold, it would be best they treat them to avoid costly loss.
As long as the seeds are collected, dried and stored correctly, then it
should be ok. I have collected seeds put them in a paper bag, or envelope
after drying, and they have been ok, never used a dust.
IF you are worried, dust some, leaved the others just for the first time. If
the undusted ones do ok, then forget the dust.
Remember too, this dust is usually poisonous, so wash your hands after use.

I have never heard of seeds being treated with a growth hormone. They don't
need it, as the outer case is a protectant, then as conditions are right
they will germinate.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply