Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Tom Elliott

Default Corn seeds

I have noticed that when buying corn seeds, they are covered in red
stuff. A friend of mine said that this was a growth hormone, while I
thought it might be an anti fungal treatment.

Since I plan to grow corn from seeds which I will be harvesting this
year, can anyone tell me what the red stuff is, and whether it is
necessary for seeds that will be stored for less than a year.

Thanks all,

Tom.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
dave

As far as I know, the read stuff is an anti-fungal powder, they use to
use captan but I dont know what the use now.I think it is mainly to do
with rotting, so if you keep your seeds in a air tight container you
should be all right and not have to powder them.

I think this is right,anyone else help??

Dave

Tom Elliott wrote in
:

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Andrew G

"Tom Elliott" wrote in message
I have noticed that when buying corn seeds, they are covered in red
stuff. A friend of mine said that this was a growth hormone, while I
thought it might be an anti fungal treatment.

Since I plan to grow corn from seeds which I will be harvesting this
year, can anyone tell me what the red stuff is, and whether it is
necessary for seeds that will be stored for less than a year.

Thanks all,

Tom.

It is probably an anti-fungal treatment. We were told during our
apprenticeship that dusting collected seed with a anti fungal treatment is
the correct way, but you can get away without it. As the seeds you mentioned
were being sold, it's hard to determine how long 'till they get used, and as
it's being sold, it would be best they treat them to avoid costly loss.
As long as the seeds are collected, dried and stored correctly, then it
should be ok. I have collected seeds put them in a paper bag, or envelope
after drying, and they have been ok, never used a dust.
IF you are worried, dust some, leaved the others just for the first time. If
the undusted ones do ok, then forget the dust.
Remember too, this dust is usually poisonous, so wash your hands after use.

I have never heard of seeds being treated with a growth hormone. They don't
need it, as the outer case is a protectant, then as conditions are right
they will germinate.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Tom Elliott wrote:

I have noticed that when buying corn seeds, they are covered in red
stuff. A friend of mine said that this was a growth hormone, while I
thought it might be an anti fungal treatment.

You are correct. Your friend came down in the last shower. You will see it
on bean seeds as well -- the one I see most often is called Thiram and there
is usually a note on the packet to tell you to keep the seeds out of reach of
children.

Since I plan to grow corn from seeds which I will be harvesting this
year, can anyone tell me what the red stuff is, and whether it is
necessary for seeds that will be stored for less than a year.

It's never *necessary*, but improves the successful germination rate. Corn is
pretty reliable anyway, so don't worry about it. When the kernels are
completely dry, take them off the ear and put them in a screw-top jar. Store
in a coll dry place.

My Dad used to store peas and beans for sowing with lime in the jar to protect
against moisture. I don't remember him doing it with corn.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

The most consistent empirical proof from history is the doctrine of human
depravity. -- Chuck Colson

Saving corn seeds Bill Rose Gardening 36 28-05-2007 05:14 PM
Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
Corn gluten and flower seeds Françoise Gardening 2 12-05-2004 05:02 PM
How far apart I should grow corn seeds Joseph A. Zupko Edible Gardening 4 10-04-2004 04:02 AM
How far apart I should grow corn seeds Joseph A. Zupko Edible Gardening 1 02-04-2004 12:18 AM