Old 01-01-2008, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default moving christmas tree outside at night

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 1/1/08 11:06, in article ,
"johngood_____" wrote:

We bought a small christmas tree from Homebase which was 'pot grown' .
We
have had it indoors for a week now.

Since we want to continue growing it in a pot outside in the garden, for
how
much longer is it safe to keep it indoors before it begins to get upset?

Would standing it out at night for a few days make it happier. Grateful
for
advice.

If you're worried about it leave it inside but in a cooler area. If it
looks a bit dried out as to the needles, stand it in a tray of gravel that
you keep damp so that it has some humidity round the whole tree.
However,
from personal experience I can tell you that we bunged two potted ones
outside two years in succession, once Christmas was over. Both look fine
and are still in their pots but our winters are milder here than in many
parts of UK.
Basically, Christmas trees in pots are living unnatural lives because just
when they expect to go dormant in cold winter months, they're brought into
summer temperatures which, when they're then put outside, puts them under
double stress.
However, there's a difference between pot-grown trees and potted trees.
If
yours is genuinely pot grown, it has a better chance of survival as it
hasn't been dug up, had its roots cut and bunged into a pot. But if
you're
going to plant it out in the garden, just remember how big it could get!

When I was stationed in Germany we used to see rows of Xmas trees, taller at
one end of the row than the other. Apparently this is due to a custom of
planting out their tree year after year.

Steve