Old 01-01-2008, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default moving christmas tree outside at night

We bought a small christmas tree from Homebase which was 'pot grown' . We
have had it indoors for a week now.

Since we want to continue growing it in a pot outside in the garden, for how
much longer is it safe to keep it indoors before it begins to get upset?

Would standing it out at night for a few days make it happier. Grateful for
advice.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
W W is offline

"johngood_____" wrote in message
We bought a small christmas tree from Homebase which was 'pot grown' .
We have had it indoors for a week now.

Since we want to continue growing it in a pot outside in the garden, for
how much longer is it safe to keep it indoors before it begins to get
upset?

Would standing it out at night for a few days make it happier. Grateful
for advice.

Do you have a green house that you can put it in?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/1/08 11:06, in article ,
"johngood_____" wrote:

We bought a small christmas tree from Homebase which was 'pot grown' . We
have had it indoors for a week now.

Since we want to continue growing it in a pot outside in the garden, for how
much longer is it safe to keep it indoors before it begins to get upset?

Would standing it out at night for a few days make it happier. Grateful for
advice.

If you're worried about it leave it inside but in a cooler area. If it
looks a bit dried out as to the needles, stand it in a tray of gravel that
you keep damp so that it has some humidity round the whole tree. However,
from personal experience I can tell you that we bunged two potted ones
outside two years in succession, once Christmas was over. Both look fine
and are still in their pots but our winters are milder here than in many
parts of UK.
Basically, Christmas trees in pots are living unnatural lives because just
when they expect to go dormant in cold winter months, they're brought into
summer temperatures which, when they're then put outside, puts them under
double stress.
However, there's a difference between pot-grown trees and potted trees. If
yours is genuinely pot grown, it has a better chance of survival as it
hasn't been dug up, had its roots cut and bunged into a pot. But if you're
going to plant it out in the garden, just remember how big it could get!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-01-2008, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 1/1/08 11:06, in article ,
"johngood_____" wrote:

[...]

When I was stationed in Germany we used to see rows of Xmas trees, taller at
one end of the row than the other. Apparently this is due to a custom of
planting out their tree year after year.

Steve

Old 01-01-2008, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/1/08 11:43, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip
But if
you're
going to plant it out in the garden, just remember how big it could get!

When I was stationed in Germany we used to see rows of Xmas trees, taller at
one end of the row than the other. Apparently this is due to a custom of
planting out their tree year after year.

Steve

Lovely idea if you've got the space.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 Jan, 11:06, "johngood_____" wrote:
We bought a small christmas tree from Homebase which was 'pot grown' . We
have had it indoors for a week now.

Would standing it out at night for a few days make it happier. Grateful for
advice.

With what on TV this holiday season I should think it would be much
happier outside.
Why not hang a few nets of peanuts and fat balls for the birds on it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Steve
Wolstenholme writes
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 11:43:35 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

When I was stationed in Germany we used to see rows of Xmas trees, taller at
one end of the row than the other. Apparently this is due to a custom of
planting out their tree year after year.

That's what I did on a local lake bank. The row got to five trees. The
tallest was about 15 foot high. Then some development company bought
the land and removed the whole row. That was about ten years ago and
nothing has "developed" because they can't get permission. It seems my
trees could be removed without permission.

If they bought the land surely they were their trees once they'd done
so?
--
Chris French