Old 02-01-2008, 10:51 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default cucumbers - what have i finally done right??

"0tterbot" wrote in message
i know - weird question g

Moved location and got some good rains perhaps? :-))

:-D
we didn't get "good" rains, though, really. it was pointlessly overcast
mostly - which means our solar power does not work so well & we get cranky.

i think the plants really enjoyed the cool moistness though. then they all
got a shock when it turned HOT.

As you know, I'm not too far from you to the west so we have a similar
length of growing time between frosts. Last year we had a massive crop of
Lebanese cukes, in fact so many I just left them to rot in the end

.... sigh!!!...

and now I
have self sown ones coming up in the silver beet and dangerously near the
carrots. I put them in a bed that had been heavily manured with horse
poop and we have no problems with water - even through the worst of the
dry last year we could give all the water we wanted to.

had lots of water ourselves last year too - i'm convinced though (along with
the natural sequencers etc) that rain is different to water from a hose. i
know that martin famous-r-family does water massaging for this reason. it's
probably all a bit like biodynamics - it all works, the question is how &
why!! (i don't know why i think i need to know the how & why of everything,
but i do).

I can't tell you what yuo
are doing right or wrong, just what we've experienced. This year the
seedling Leb cukes are doing well but I don't know if they ahve any fruit
on them yet as I haven't looked - I'm too busy checking up on the
rockmelons and orange watermelons which I am desperate to get.

mine were duds last year - never got ripe. i decided it's not hot enough
here. perhaps i was just wrong?

I've noticed how full of bees the stachys lanata and the lavendar is is

the
past few weeks - simply alive with them.

i put in some cornflowers this year - my word, the bees love them!! i'm
chopping most of them down soon though as they are so tall & are falling
everywhere & just look awful.

i'm growing them up a fence this time, which i believe is recommended.
does anyone know what the difference might be with growing them upwards
instead of along the ground? (more bee action?)

Mine did well sprawling on the ground.

this might become a long-term experiment for me!
thanks
kylie