Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default New Year's Day in the garden

On 4/1/08 16:31, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Jan 4, 4:17*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/1/08 14:07, in article
, "Cat(h)"

I'm jealous.
Flowering in my garden (v. quick inspection, and that was before the
snow)
Mahonia
Primulae
A few pansies (last 2 in pots)
A few big buds on Camelia (also in pot)
Er... that's it.

Cat(h) (obviously hasn't mastered the year-round interest bit about
gardening...)

Perhaps it depends on where people live? *In the comparatively tropical SW
of the country there might be more to see on NYD than there is in other
locations.

You're being kind, I can tell ;-) There are plenty things that would
flower and thrive where I am if I had bothered with them. The fact is
that I am a fair weather very amateurish gardener, with only week ends
- and not all week ends - available to garden. In winter, my garden
goes into hibernation, and I get excited about it again in Spring...
often too late to have a really successful cabbage patch!
But hey, I get as much enjoyment out of it as I want, so I would not
complain.

That's just how it should be and it's probably how most of us started out.
Being able to do what *you* want on your own little bit of the planet is a
real life-saver for some people - a good 'switch off'. For some, the
passion increases and for others it remains at a manageable level. ;-)

snip

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk