Old 01-01-2008, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Year's Day in the garden

Flowering a two entirely separate and distant-from-each-other clumps of
snowdrops, Fuchsia excocorticata, which flowers on bare stems and is showing
plenty of buds and three flowers already out, as is an unidentified shrubby
Lonicera which seems to flower on and off all year. The Chaenomeles on the
house wall is flowering, Vinca major is abundantly flowering and a very
short-stemmed squill (we think) is putting in an appearance. Hellebores of
various colours are giving a good show in one area of the garden and a
Rhododendron has opened one bud and clearly has plenty to follow any minute
now. Camellias Taka-Nini, Narumi-Gata and two mystery ones are in full
flower.
Two Fuchsias microphylla are covered in their charming little flowers and a
few daffs have buds and so does a large leafed and unusual Buddleia Ray
can't remember the name of! A Westringia is flowering well towards the
bottom of the garden but we do fear the forecast for the latter part of this
week. ;-(
Daphne bholua, Lonicera purpusii and a variety of Sarcococcas are working
their scented magic on the garden. I picked three stems of the latter to
put in our sitting room tonight and the scent is almost too much. I'll have
to take a couple of stems out tomorrow and put them somewhere else!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-01-2008, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

Just a single white rose on "Winchester Cathedral", one of the Snowflake
clumps has just started flowering as has one of the dark Hellebores. Under
cover, the largest Orange tree, which already has a lot of fruit on it, has
decided it's time to flower again, citrus are weird plants.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-01-2008, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 3, 7:47*pm, Chris Hogg wrote:
We have in flower in the garden:

Kunzea Baxteri, which is supposed to flower in late spring to early
summer! Been in full flower for about six weeks now. Similar flowers
to Callistemon citrinus splendens. Grown from seed from Chiltern.

Polygala myrtifolia
Euryops pectinatus
Geranium palmatum
Various Camellias japonica
A few plum-purple large flowered hebes
Correa 'Dusky Bells' and a.n.o.
3 species of South Africa heather
A few gazanias
Cyclamen neopolitanum, c. coum and some semi-hardy brightly coloured
hybrids.
A few Bergenias
Schizostylis coccinea major

But I think this list is shorter than last year's.

--
Chris

I'm jealous.
Flowering in my garden (v. quick inspection, and that was before the
snow)
Mahonia
Primulae
A few pansies (last 2 in pots)
A few big buds on Camelia (also in pot)
Er... that's it.

Cat(h) (obviously hasn't mastered the year-round interest bit about
gardening...)
Old 04-01-2008, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/1/08 14:07, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps it depends on where people live? In the comparatively tropical SW
of the country there might be more to see on NYD than there is in other
locations. It's become a bit of a habit with us (and with friends in the
CIs) to have a garden wander and check up.
Today Ray pointed out to me an absolute charming and very understated
Clematis nepalensis flowering freely over a bit of the pergola. Its flowers
are absolutely charming, IMO.
http://www.clematisnursery.com.au/Im...alensis%20.jpg

Old 04-01-2008, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 4, 4:17*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/1/08 14:07, in article
, "Cat(h)"

I'm jealous.
Flowering in my garden (v. quick inspection, and that was before the
snow)
Mahonia
Primulae
A few pansies (last 2 in pots)
A few big buds on Camelia (also in pot)
Er... that's it.

Cat(h) (obviously hasn't mastered the year-round interest bit about
gardening...)

Perhaps it depends on where people live? *In the comparatively tropical SW
of the country there might be more to see on NYD than there is in other
locations.

You're being kind, I can tell ;-) There are plenty things that would
flower and thrive where I am if I had bothered with them. The fact is
that I am a fair weather very amateurish gardener, with only week ends
- and not all week ends - available to garden. In winter, my garden
goes into hibernation, and I get excited about it again in Spring...
often too late to have a really successful cabbage patch!
But hey, I get as much enjoyment out of it as I want, so I would not
complain.

*It's become a bit of a habit with us (and with friends in the
CIs) to have a garden wander and check up.
Today Ray pointed out to me an absolute charming and very understated
Clematis nepalensis flowering freely over a bit of the pergola. *Its flowers
are absolutely charming,

Very pretty!

IMO.http://www.clematisnursery.com.au/Im...alensis%20.jpg

Cat(h)

Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/1/08 16:31, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Jan 4, 4:17*pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

That's just how it should be and it's probably how most of us started out.
Being able to do what *you* want on your own little bit of the planet is a
real life-saver for some people - a good 'switch off'. For some, the
passion increases and for others it remains at a manageable level. ;-)

snip

Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Three of the trailing carnations are actually just about to flower in
the pots on the patio. The frosts didn't seem to harm them. They were
really late in coming into flower , they were the ones from T & M this
year.

A friend's edgworthia is doing really well and we have a fair amount of
flowers around in Amersham. I know because I always have the great New
year's day flower count. The gardening club all send their entries in
and one list gets picked for a prize every year.
I list all the flowers in the lists and he numbers of people reporting
them to be in bloom.
It's a good way to learn of new plants that will flower in local gardens
in winter!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 3, 7:47*pm, Chris Hogg wrote:

But I think this list is shorter than last year's.

--
Chris

Yes the lists here are much shorter than last year's
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association