Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Heather Edwards

Default Raising Seedlings

Dear John, Usually with spindly plants outside they are not getting enough
light so this may be your problem. They grow spindly because they are
pushing upward for light they spend all their efforts doing this so they
look spindly. Just an idea. Heather.
"John Stokes" wrote in message
.. .
Hello everyone

I am in my second year growing hydro herbs, tomatoes, lettuces etc and
coming along fairly well for someone who doesn't have too much of a green
thumb.

My problem is that I am not doing too well at raising seedlings. I have

been
using coconut fibre (as used in hydro systems), perlite/vermiculite and
watering with seedling strength solution of Seaweed Fertiliser. I have

tried
locating the trays of seedlings inside my shed which gets a fair bit of
indirect sunlight, I have tried under 70% (black) shade cloth, I have

tried
in a tray with clear plastic cover. Each time I end up with very spindly
lettuce/rocket seedlings.

Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

John