Old 06-01-2008, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Fame!

On 6/1/08 11:00, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| It's the variety. C. medica is the lemon used for candying and culinary
| use. It's mainly peel and pith. ;-)) C. medica 'Buddha's Hand' is of no
| culinary use at all but is used by the Chinese and Japanese to perfume
their
| houses. I cannot begin to describe the intensity of its scent. It is
| exquisite and last year, a cut one in our big greenhouse, retained its
| perfume for at least four weeks.

I believe that it can be used for cooking! See:

http://www.sanfranciscofoodie.com/sc...uddhasHand.htm

From those and other Web hits, I believe that it would be good in any
of the recipes that use fresh lemon peel - pickles, steamed whole lemon
pudding, chicken/lamb with lemon etc.

I'd use the C. medica for that but not the Buddha's Hand. It would be a
terrific waste of its wonderful scent, IMO! IIRC, and now that you've
mentioned it, someone on the food group showed me that article some time ago
and if you're looking to impress with something unusual, that would
certainly do it! I'd forgotten about it.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk