Old 05-01-2008, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fame!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...growing-Lemons

Pity they didn't show the Buddha's Hand but 'only' the C. medica! ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-01-2008, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...growing-Lemons
|
| Pity they didn't show the Buddha's Hand but 'only' the C. medica! ;-)

The editor probably said "I'm not falling for that one - you rigged
it up in Photoshop!"

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article C3A573F0.61DF1%
, Sacha says...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...growing-Lemons

Pity they didn't show the Buddha's Hand but 'only' the C. medica! ;-)

I've not seen lemons that big before. Is that due to the
variety or just TLC?
--
David in Normandy
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 5, 5:50*pm, Sacha wrote:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...growing-Lemons

Pity they didn't show the Buddha's Hand but 'only' the C. medica! *;-)

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

I love lemon marmarade, congratulations to Ray, Scaha.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/1/08 18:57, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

In article C3A573F0.61DF1%
, Sacha says...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...growing-Lemons

Pity they didn't show the Buddha's Hand but 'only' the C. medica! ;-)

I've not seen lemons that big before. Is that due to the
variety or just TLC?

It's the variety. C. medica is the lemon used for candying and culinary
use. It's mainly peel and pith. ;-)) C. medica 'Buddha's Hand' is of no
culinary use at all but is used by the Chinese and Japanese to perfume their
houses. I cannot begin to describe the intensity of its scent. It is
exquisite and last year, a cut one in our big greenhouse, retained its
perfume for at least four weeks.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/1/08 20:28, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Jan 5, 5:50*pm, Sacha wrote:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...growing-Lemons

Pity they didn't show the Buddha's Hand but 'only' the C. medica! *;-)

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

I love lemon marmarade, congratulations to Ray, Scaha.

One of his many babies being loved and looked after. ;-))

Old 06-01-2008, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pity they didn't show the Buddha's Hand but 'only' the C. medica! ;-)

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

I love lemon marmarade, congratulations to Ray, Scaha.

One of his many babies being loved and looked after. ;-))

--
Sacha

Congratulations from me too :-)

kate
Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| It's the variety. C. medica is the lemon used for candying and culinary
| use. It's mainly peel and pith. ;-)) C. medica 'Buddha's Hand' is of no
| culinary use at all but is used by the Chinese and Japanese to perfume their
| houses. I cannot begin to describe the intensity of its scent. It is
| exquisite and last year, a cut one in our big greenhouse, retained its
| perfume for at least four weeks.

I believe that it can be used for cooking! See:

http://www.sanfranciscofoodie.com/sc...uddhasHand.htm

From those and other Web hits, I believe that it would be good in any
of the recipes that use fresh lemon peel - pickles, steamed whole lemon
pudding, chicken/lamb with lemon etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/1/08 11:00, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| It's the variety. C. medica is the lemon used for candying and culinary
| use. It's mainly peel and pith. ;-)) C. medica 'Buddha's Hand' is of no
| culinary use at all but is used by the Chinese and Japanese to perfume
their
| houses. I cannot begin to describe the intensity of its scent. It is
| exquisite and last year, a cut one in our big greenhouse, retained its
| perfume for at least four weeks.

I believe that it can be used for cooking! See:

http://www.sanfranciscofoodie.com/sc...uddhasHand.htm

From those and other Web hits, I believe that it would be good in any
of the recipes that use fresh lemon peel - pickles, steamed whole lemon
pudding, chicken/lamb with lemon etc.

I'd use the C. medica for that but not the Buddha's Hand. It would be a
terrific waste of its wonderful scent, IMO! IIRC, and now that you've
mentioned it, someone on the food group showed me that article some time ago
and if you're looking to impress with something unusual, that would
certainly do it! I'd forgotten about it.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

I'd use the C. medica for that but not the Buddha's Hand. It would
be a terrific waste of its wonderful scent, IMO! .

Hmmm. Could make a decently-sized gin & tonic with it...

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 07-01-2008, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/1/08 16:16, in article ,
"Jeff Layman" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

I'd use the C. medica for that but not the Buddha's Hand. It would
be a terrific waste of its wonderful scent, IMO! .

Hmmm. Could make a decently-sized gin & tonic with it...

Someone asked me about that in email and I said we usually find a bucket and
a couple of straws does the trick nicely. ;-))